Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I want to insrtall a new HDD in my laptop  (Read 3033 times)

jimpl

Topic Starter

Beginner

I want to insrtall a new HDD in my laptop
    « on: June 13, 2012, 08:11:11 AM »
    Hello,
     I have a Toshiba Qosmio X305-Q705 laptop.  The HDD is about 4 years old now and I want to install a new one.
      I have an upgrade disk for Vista Business but the computer didn't come with an actual OS boot disk.
     I think I'm supposed to create it using the laptop itself but not sure how.
      Can someone give me a little guidance?

I have already installed the new HDD and tried with my upgrade *censored* and got to the part where it tells me I have to have the real version of windows.  I shouldn't have to go buy it if it's already on my computer??
      I put the old HDD back in and it still runs, so I just need to figure out how to make the OS disk.
       Thanks,
     Jim

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: I want to insrtall a new HDD in my laptop
    « Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 08:23:33 AM »
    You can create an image of the old drive (or clone it) using disc imaging software (Acronis True Image or Macrium Reflect) and then restore it to the new drive. If you have an external drive that's the ideal place to store the image. If not, dvd's or cd's will do fine.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 08:24:50 AM »
    I suggest you visit the website of the manufacturer of your computer to search for info on creating a restore disc from the recovery partition on your hard drive.

When I upgraded the hard drive in my laptop, I used the software from Western Digital, which was a special (Western Digital) version of Acronis TrueImage software, to clone my old drive to the new one.  To to this, you will need an external enclosure to put one drive in.  Alternatively, you could use a USB Hard Drive Adapter; however, an external enclosure would allow you to use your old hard drive as an external hard drive.

jimpl

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 08:54:05 AM »
      up date.
        I looked on the net a litle more and found instructions that say to put in a DVD r, and then look in the start menu for "Recovery Disc Creator"
       I did that and it doesn't seem to be there.
       I will try to follow the advice above.
       Thanks

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 09:11:37 AM »
      If you live in the U.S., I suggest this very inexpensive external enclosure: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182140   They're selling at a discount now and with free shipping.  I don't think you'll find a better deal if you want to minimize your cost. 

I believe external enclosure is the same one I have.  It looks identical.  I'm assuming your drive is SATA, not IDE.  If it's IDE, you need an IDE version of the external enclosure.

jimpl

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 09:35:24 AM »
        I looked at the Acronis thing. It looks like it's for backing up a hard drive. I don't want to back it up.
         I want to install a new one and start over. I just need a way to install the old OS.
          I looked in my start menu and the Recovery Disc Creator is not there.
         I searched for Recovery, and only see something for Office.

Allan

• Mastermind
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 09:59:37 AM »
        True Image will allow you to create an exact image of your old hd and put it on your new hd. When you boot to the new hd everything will be as it was. However, if you truly want to start "from scratch" with a clean installation then you are correct, disc imaging is not for you (at this time - EVERYONE should use disc imaging on a regular basis).

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 11:00:28 AM »
        If you want a fresh installation of Windows - as opposed to copying everything from your old hard drive - on the new drive, then you will need a Windows disc.  And, since you could not create a system disc from a recovery partition on your hard drive, as the manufacturer intends users to do, then you will need to buy Windows and that would be a significant cost. 

A lower cost option which would let you restore the system to its original configuration is to contact the manufacturer and inquire about buying and OEM disc from them.  There's a good chance they have it and the cost is a small fraction of the cost of Windows on the retail market.

jimpl

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 12:06:38 PM »
          I think I found what I need at Toshiba's web site.
           I ordered

SW Media - DVD-QOSMIO-X305-Win Vista 32/64bit Home Prem-EN
            That's supposed to be the recovery OS for that laptop.

Hopefully I can use this with my new hard drive?? and not just simply bring the existing one back to factory specs??
            Wish me luck!