Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Apple Macbook Pro RAM Question  (Read 8604 times)

sivad

Topic Starter

Rookie

Apple Macbook Pro RAM Question
    « on: June 26, 2012, 05:43:40 PM »
    Hello All!

My question today is in regards to RAM for my Macbook Pro.
    The Specs:

MBP 13 Inch Mid 2012
    Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory: 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Software: Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4

I was interested in putting in more RAM. I took out the two 2GB 1600 MHz sticks and placed in two 4GB 1067 MHz sticks.
    My question is, even though the RAM count is now 8GB rather than 4GB, will it run slower/worst because the speed is now 1067 MHz instead of 1600 Mhz?

I am not too familiar with what RAM is and what kind of difference this is going to make. Please advise! I appreciate all help and responses I receive.
    Thank You!

-Davis

truenorth

Guru

Re: Apple Macbook Pro RAM Question
      « Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 05:51:19 PM »
      It is my understanding that while you will have a slower "speed" due to the lower speed of the RAM modules (i believe the difference from what you would get if you had installed 8 gb of the 1600 mb modules will not be noticeable). However on the plus side the addition of more ram (8GB as opposed to 4 Gb) should increase the overall speed of the computer due to the greater amount of RAM being available for processing. truenorth

sivad

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 07:10:03 PM »
        Thanks for the response Trunorth. If the overall speed and performance of my computer goes up, I'm all for it. Can someone explain exactly what the difference in speed is between 1600MHz and 1067 MHz is? I would like to know when this would exactly affect me and how I can tell.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 08:23:21 AM »
        Faster RAM of the same size will usually get you a 1%-3% performance increase in memory-gobbling applications such as games, databases, and so forth. Modern Games are the most likely to see a 1-3% increase since they use RAM heavily. Doubling memory from 4GB to 8GB could see improvements in the range of 30, or even 50%, depending on the game and/or applications.

The Speed of RAM is one of the last things to consider though since the speed increase for extra cost is the lowest.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

sivad

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 04:28:07 PM »
          Thanks for the quick response. I undersand the options a bit more now. I will go ahead and choose the 8GB option. Thank you for all the help. =D