Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: my old HP tower shuts down before it gets to windows screen..  (Read 2401 times)

neilkw

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    I turn pc on , the HP screen shows up ,then next a black screen with grey writting asking me to indicate which of the two o/s systems I choose .( both are xp professional) then I click on either one and back up comes the hp screen and then the black screen with grey writting again. It just keeps repeating this over and over again. I tried clicking on F8 like is says I can on the bottom of the HP screen, and trying the various options , but nothing helps..
     The only clue I have is that I often shut the pc off and hook it to my flatscreen TV to veiw movies. Thats when it started acting up.. I had just swiched over to the TV and turned the pc on  and noticed it doing this on the TV.. I figured it was something wrong with the tv settings so went back to my monitor and found it doing the same thing..
    Any help will be apprciated .
    Thanks , Neil

neilkw

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: my old HP tower shuts down before it gets to windows screen..
      « Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 12:52:13 PM »
      fixed it by playing around , a bit risky but it was that or reinstall wqindows and loose it all.