Software > Computer software

My recommendations for problem free computing

(1/2) > >>

Interleave:
I have been in the computer repair biz for more years than I care to think about, but I have settled into some tried and true software routines that are:

1. free (or close to it)
2. effective
3. Easy to use

I highly recommend the free (or paid) version of CCLEANER. (google it if you have never heard of it).
I also recommend (to keep those pesky trojans and viruses away) Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes
Accidentally deleted a file? Recuva is a great little tool for recovering accidentally deleted files.
Ever have to replace a keyboard on a laptop and one of the keys was screwed up and wouldn't let you work? Sharpkeys is your answer.
Need to back up your hard drives? Whether just files or sector by sector or a complete clone? Acronis does the trick. It's not free but $50 ain't bad.
Ad-aware is great for spyware detection and removal
Need to create a macro? Try DoItAgain
Not really happy with Windows disk defragmenter? Try Defraggler
Want to keep an eye on your network and find out where possible troublespots are or pick up on potential intruders?
Try Colasoft Capsa 7 free. You have to take a look at this program - it's phenomenal (you might want to have some background in protocol analysis to figure out what it's telling you though).
Want to make sure that when you uninstall a program, you get EVERYTHING? I recommend Revo Uninstaller pro. I don't think you'll find a better product than this for what you want to do.
Can't delete a file? Try FileASSASSIN (free)

I could go on forever (but I won't). If you are truly interested in keeping your computer running like new then many of these utilities (defrag, virus removal, ccleaner) will keep you going smooth. The rest are just great tools to have in your kit in case disaster strikes or you need to find a problem.

copespeak:
I've used Crap Cleaner for years and it's fantastic. I recently installed it on my friend's totally gummed up machine, and got it running in ten minutes. Really excellent.

jim.mar:
I am a little afraid of CC.  I am afraid of what it might do to the registery..   And I am never sure whether I should delete everything it suggests or not.  Do you have any guide lines that I might follow

Also, what is Microsoft Security Essentials?  And how do we get it??

jim.mar:
I just tried to download MS Security Essentials.   It said that  I must uninstall all antivirus and malware programs which I have running.  These include Superantispyware, avast,  and Malwarebytes, all  of which I though were pretty good programs.   Am i wrong in that??

Salmon Trout:
You only need one good antivirus program. It is a bad idea to have more than one running at a time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version