Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: L-type SATA to I-type SATA  (Read 2692 times)

lseese

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    L-type SATA to I-type SATA
    « on: July 14, 2012, 08:27:08 AM »
    I have a HP xw4400 that I'm trying to install a hard drive in. Initially, I was going to use the hard drive out of my old computer (also L-type), but decided against it. I watched a couple instructional videos, which both used an L-type SATA connection, and I mistakenly assumed that there was only one type of SATA connection. I learned that there are more than one type when I got my hard drive and saw that the connection on the new hard drive was an I-type, while the connection on the 4400 is an L-type.

Is this just a matter of getting adapter cables, or do I actually need a hard drive with an L-type connection? I was thinking that the former is true, but I want to make 100% sure before I take that hard drive out of the packaging.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: L-type SATA to I-type SATA
    « Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 09:02:46 AM »
    Can you show us what you are calling L-Type & I-Type?  There is only 1 type of SATA Data connection, the other is Power.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    « Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 10:29:10 AM »
    Does L-Type perhaps refer to the style of cable that has the end bent into an L-shape? That is, the actual plug is perpendicular to the direction the cord goes?

if so, the connections are the same, of course- the only difference is where the cord comes out.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

lseese

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 10:53:43 AM »
      OMG. Total rookie mistake. I have it figured out now. I was going from memory as to what the cables and connections looked like on my old desktop. After your replies, I pulled the old desktop out and actually looked at the way the cables hook up and saw that there was no difference, it was just my perception as to what the differences between the cables and what the back of the hard drive looked like.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I should have taken more time to look twice at the connections.