Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: WildTangent Control Panel  (Read 7312 times)

ComputerNoob

WildTangent Control Panel
« on: July 12, 2004, 10:35:04 PM »
When I go to my Control Panel from the Start Menu, there is an icon for the "WildTangent Control Panel".  I have tried to remove it because people tell me it is spyware.  It says it has been removed by Spybot Search and Destroy but it keeps coming back.  I also tried to uninstall it and it says it has but keeps coming back.  How do I get rid of this?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: WildTangent Control Panel
    « Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 11:08:59 PM »
    ......Follow these instructions.........
    Go into your Control Panel and open "Add/Remove Programs". See if Wild Tangent is installed there. If it is, uninstall it.

If this isn't working, here are the manual instructions to get rid of it:

1. Start the registry editor. This is done by clicking "Start" then "Run". (The Run dialog will appear.) Type "regedit" without the quotes and click OK. (The registry editor will open.)

2. Browse to the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Run

3. In the right pane, delete the value called 'wcmdmgr' and 'WT GameChannel', if they exists.

4. Exit the registry editor.

5. Restart your computer.

6. Delete the following directories and their content if they exist:

C:\Windows\wt\
    C:\WINNT\wt\

This should do the trick. Let us know how it goes.

dl65  ???

« Last Edit: July 12, 2004, 11:10:10 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

ComputerNoob

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 10:35:53 PM »
    I went to add/remove programs and there wasn't anything from WildTangent.  I remember uninstalling them a while back to try and get rid of it but it obviously didn't work.  I am not sure about editing the registry because I am afraid I will screw up the PC and I will have to buy my family a new one since they know nothing about PCs and think that my games screw up the PC but them opening attachments from ppl they don't know doesn't.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 07:56:19 AM »
    You donot have to buy a new PC unless you touch the hardware and damage it. Even then you only have to buy new components.

What is this common misconception of an OS being everything? Sigh...

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=14;action=display;num=1089181015

I suggest you try all the programs advised by our moderator and search the computerhope database.

Master Green

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 06:54:06 AM »
    Hi,
    To the best of my knowledge, WildTangent is related to games. If you or any other household member play games through Yahoo, then that's one possible reason it keeps coming back.

Word is, WildTangent carries some spyware with it but it's also reported to be very minimal and not a threat.

As for getting rid of it, the most common way was through the add/remove programs. You can also go to msconfig and uncheck the box there. Hope this helps.