Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I'm thinking about switching to linux...  (Read 12945 times)

Konnoryuu

I'm thinking about switching to linux...
« on: September 26, 2005, 05:17:07 PM »
Okay, the computer I would be installing it to has Windows XP on it right now, but I can't get onto it anymore, so I'll just format the HDD when I install linux. My computer's HDD is about 80GB. (If you need any more info, just ask)

What Dist. of Linux would you reccomend? Also, would I be able to re-install my games and other windows stuff onto linux (without using Cedega, I don't feel like buying anything)?

GX1_Man

Re: I'm thinking about switching to linux...
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 07:15:43 PM »
Stem make/model, RAM, video card, sound card woul dbe ,ost helpful. We can advise you better.

If youi are strictly looking for a gaming platform, you should stick with Windows. If you want to try Linux as a productive operating sytem, stay tuned.

Konnoryuu

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 04:40:12 AM »
My computer is a Medion, and was bought around 2001. 256mb RAM, GeForce Ti 300 Video card (im pretty sure, might be Ti 200 or something), integrated sound card, 1.8 Ghz Processor, CD RW and a DVD-ROM drive, FDD, and that's all I know off the top of my head. I have another computer (the one i'm using to type this) with windows, so I'll probably game on that and use linux on the other. If I really want to play games, I might buy cedega later, but only if I don't have to suscribe just to use it or anything.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 06:36:24 PM »
My computer is a Medion, and was bought around 2001. 256mb RAM, GeForce Ti 300 Video card (im pretty sure, might be Ti 200 or something), integrated sound card, 1.8 Ghz Processor, CD RW and a DVD-ROM drive, FDD, and that's all I know off the top of my head. I have another computer (the one i'm using to type this) with windows, so I'll probably game on that and use linux on the other. If I really want to play games, I might buy cedega later, but only if I don't have to suscribe just to use it or anything.

With that configuation, I would try the Xandros 3 CE to see Linux and learn, or if more adventurous Mepis or VectorLinux. You can download these and 9y others for free at www.distrowatch.com, burn the ISO to a CD, set your machine to boot from the CD drive and off you go. You may want to try a Live CD (there are many) as well, sucvh as Knoppix.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 06:37:26 PM by GX1_Man »

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 12:15:32 AM »
    I'd advise anyone who wanted to play with linux to buy it from a shop ($20?) or so.
    That way you get a book that really helps you along the journey.

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 04:33:06 AM »
    There are plenty of helpsites on the web, as well as discussion groups/forums/faq's on the home pages of the various distro's.

Do you want to be in charge of Linuxhope.com?

::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
    « Last Edit: September 28, 2005, 04:33:38 AM by GX1_Man »

chip618

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 08:34:38 PM »
    Fear is not needed with Linux's SuSE, I recently purcahed SuSE thinking the same, but to my suprise it has come on leaps and bounds for novice users, i will admit to being a novice user in linux; I have been using MS for years and i have found my way around it but Linux is a brand new thing for me--it has some amazing features but it can lack compatabillity with some hardware you have this is where MS comes out on top in most cases, unfortunatly companies dont make drives for Linux, and i dont see why, if you purchase SuSE Linux 9.2 Professional (try eby), it will come with a lot of sotware all that you said you wanted.  It comes with an amazing office suite, which i think is better than MS Office and it comes bundled with Programming tools,
    games the works.  I suggest giving it a go, you can always create a dual boot where MS is still on your hard disk in a seperate partition which is accessable through Linux (Provided that you have a user without a password), the Linux installation will do this all for you. I am happy with my computer and my Dual boot MS and with Linux, it is very usefull. the down side about Linux there is no DVD film players avalible due to legal reasons.  I hope this can be sorted out. Thank you.  chip618

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005, 10:14:53 PM »
    Suse 9.3 Professional (5 CD's Worth!!!) available for free download here:

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=1128144273

Personally I don;t care for it, but a lot of people think its just fine.

Or check them all at www.distrowatch.com

lnxusr-46

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 01:55:29 PM »
    linux is a very powerful and versatile OS ,however in many cases somewhat trying of ones patience  !! if you realy want to give it a go the best way to acquire a copy of the LNX flavors is to find a BAM store or any other large book-store and buy a copy of linux magazine ,linux programming, or find their discounted book section ; where in your larger more reputable book stores one can find some great deals.    If you decide to join the linux communities "WELCOME ONBOARD" !

SilentAssasin64

Apprentice

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    « Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 08:54:02 PM »
    I've had nothing but good luck with CentOS, SuSE, and Ubuntu.  SuSE is a very user friendly distro, IMO.  However, I still recommend Ubuntu over it.
    Back In The Game

dirtmaster88

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 10:04:24 AM »
    I've had nothing but good luck with CentOS, SuSE, and Ubuntu.  SuSE is a very user friendly distro, IMO.  However, I still recommend Ubuntu over it.

All of our workstations here at work run SuSE 9.2. Within this linux desktop, users connect to the windows servers using the Citrix client. SuSE is pretty easy to use and is very user friendly like Silent said. Ubuntu is also another good option. Ubuntu is one of the most popular Linux distros and you can even choose Ubuntu over windows when ordering a new Dell system.

I reccomend researching different distributions and finding one to your liking. Your taste in an operating system differs from everyone elses and thats the best thing about Linux; choose the one that you like the best! The options are almost unlimited.

Playing games and running your favorite windows programs on Linux has always been a headache for me. A good tool to look into is called Wine. Wine is a windows emulator. I don't know a whole ton about it because i've never had much luck with it but its worth a shot and the learning experience is good.

Overall, for a new user, my reccomendation for a first distribution would be either SuSE or Ubuntu.

From personal experience, and older version such as 9.2 of SuSE would be a good option considering your hardware. We tried running 10.2 on our systems here at work and they choke on the graphics and everything is laggy because they are just workstations with 128 mb of ram and integrated graphics. 9.2 runs like a charm though.

Good Luck and keep us updated with what you choose!

SilentAssasin64

Apprentice

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007, 11:57:34 AM »

All of our workstations here at work run SuSE 9.2. Within this linux desktop, users connect to the windows servers using the Citrix client. SuSE is pretty easy to use and is very user friendly like Silent said. Ubuntu is also another good option. Ubuntu is one of the most popular Linux distros and you can even choose Ubuntu over windows when ordering a new Dell system.

<snip>

9.2 is actually the one I used too.  Very nice OS. 
    Back In The Game

reaper_tbs

Apprentice

• Yes
      • Google
    • Certifications: List
    « Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 12:03:34 PM »
    i think Ubuntu is pretty cool... some compatibility issues could be sorted, but apart from that i think it's great...
    Computer Hope

If I don't reply, I'm probably out returning videotapes.

WesternMA

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2007, 02:16:55 PM »
    If you have a Borders or Barnes and Noble nearby, see if they still have the July '07 issue of Linux Format Magazine (from the UK, but sold in the US).  The issue contains a 8 gig CD with Ubuntu 7.04; Mandrive 2007; Debian 4.0 and SimplyMepis 6.5.
    Contained in the magazine are complete directions for installing all of the distros, so you can try them all.  That should give you a good start.

BLACKEGG

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2007, 10:51:46 PM »
    I have the ISO Knoppix and think it's great. You can run the entire OS from disk and it integrates with your existing HD. You can use it to see if you like what you see and then actually install one. Most all of the Linux distros are vastly different from one another with many common items throughout. I downloaded an ISO of Suse as well and it does not integrate with your HD. I have heard that there is a Linux XP out? It's supposed to mimic Win. XP in the look and feel.
    Linux is a great OS and has numerous programs. I think I heard that Knoppix has over 1000 installed in it.

temporos

Rookie

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2007, 10:44:39 PM »
      I'm a rather novice linux user, too.  I started on Ubuntu a couple years ago, dual booting it with Windows Me (*barf*).  After upgrading to Windows XP (*still barf*), I decided to try gentoo linux, and it is really nice, too.  It's not quite as intuitive as Ubuntu, but it's a little more customizable, I think.  I currently dual-boot gentoo and Windows XP.
      System specs:
      Make/Model: Sony VAIO PCG-K45 15"
      Processor: Mobile Intel Pentium 4 Processor 538 3.2GHz
      Graphics: ATI Radeon IGP 345M 64 MB Shared
      Sound: Realtek AC97 Audio
      Memory: 2x 512 MB DDR SODIMM PC2100
      HDD: Fujitsu MHT 2080AT 80GB 4200 RPM UATA

michaewlewis

Intermediate
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #16 on: July 25, 2007, 07:57:29 PM »
      wow. this is an old topic... who resurrected it? and why?
      opensuse all the way, then beos.

contrex

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2007, 12:44:16 PM »

It only takes one n00b who doesn't look at the date before replying to resurrect a thread...

antalves

Beginner

• I have doubts, therefore I am
        • Yes
      « Reply #18 on: July 28, 2007, 12:44:07 PM »
      I am using Ubuntu 7.04 since a week ago. I'm feeling very confortable. For now I go to Windows only by some special reason, like a game

SilentAssasin64

Apprentice

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #19 on: July 29, 2007, 05:14:13 PM »
      I am using Ubuntu 7.04 since a week ago. I'm feeling very confortable. For now I go to Windows only by some special reason, like a game

Same here.  But I've been using Ubuntu for a little longer...haha.

After using it for a little while you start figuring out how to use it quite well.
      Back In The Game

reaper_tbs

Apprentice

• Yes
        • Google
      « Reply #20 on: July 29, 2007, 05:17:56 PM »

It only takes one n00b who doesn't look at the date before replying to resurrect a thread...

how mature of you
      Computer Hope

contrex

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2007, 11:48:23 PM »
      how mature of you

I presume you're being sarcastic, and mean the opposite. What's immature about noting a simple fact?

reaper_tbs

Apprentice

• Yes
        • Google
      « Reply #22 on: July 31, 2007, 11:03:08 AM »
      I presume you're being sarcastic, and mean the opposite.
      lol. i take it back. that comment alone made my day.
      Computer Hope

computer engineer

Rookie
      • South Oil Company
      « Reply #23 on: September 01, 2007, 02:07:41 AM »
      I have a system consist of three utiliys  running with Red Hat (32 bit ) and core (64 bit ) with Netapps and workstation running Windows xp .

I feel its very conpact network ,I have try many versions of Linux but never like RedHat,so i recommand you to get redhat !

goodluck
      Ahmed
      Head of Technical Section