Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 4 wireless pc's problem  (Read 5312 times)

frog

Topic Starter

Beginner
    4 wireless pc's problem
    « on: July 23, 2012, 04:49:09 AM »
    Greetings - I am trying to add another pc to my wireless lan but can't get it to connect.  Here is what I've got:

Modem connected to XP Pro Core2duo

Dlink Gamer Lounge Router DGL 4300

1  Windows 7 I3 TP Link 150Mbps Wireless N Adapter
    2  Windows XP Pro core2Duo - Dlink DWA 510 Wireless G Desktop Adapter
    3  Asus Laptop EEE 900HA XP Pro

These three are secured by pc #2's Dlink software.  The fourth pc is an XP Pro dual core with a Dlink DWL G510 Adapter.  It seems this adapter is no longer supported but has been working OK in the past on pc #2.  Since I can't get it to connect to the secure network after many attempts at all of the possible Windows options and settings and Dlink software, I bought a new ASUS USB-N13 Wireless-N Adapter thinking my Dlink card was crapped out.  Now I can't get this new adapter to connect either.  It finds the secured connection but will not connect.  It comes back either with an encryption error or it says out of range.  Here is the Encryption - WPA-PSK/TKIP (also known as WPA Personal).  The distance is only about 30 feet and one thin wood wall to go through.  The unsecured connection I had showed an excellent connection too.  When I get these windows, I don't get the screen to put in my secured password.  Earlier I had a new un-secured connection on this pc, but it screwed up my secured connections on the other three.  So I fixed the secured ones again and now I need to know what the heck this old pc wants.  I would prefer to use the old Dlink internal card if possible, but the new USB would be fine too if necessary. Every time I have to do this, it's a struggle to get it done right with all of the various windows to check out for various settings.  All help is greatly appreciated.

Jim

truenorth

Guru

Re: 4 wireless pc's problem
      « Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 11:41:07 AM »
      On the one that is not connecting what happens and what message do you get when you execute the "repair" function on your connection?truenorth

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 01:31:38 PM »
      Windows woodworking is never easy, Except for those people that never have problems.
      You can fully uninstall the adapter. Restart Windows and do the network wizard all over again. And this timeline, put the computer near the router. You may have to restart the router.
      Once you get the connection, put the router and computer back in place.

Also, it there are other wireless things in your area, you should change the channel. Is does matter. Sometimes.

frog

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 05:07:30 PM »
        Repair just says it can't do it.  I've un-installed the adapter and re-installed both of them depending which one was being used at that time, and that didn't help.  There is something wrong between the four of them as when I do get #4 connected as Dlink and not secured, that seems to blow away my secured connections to the others.  Also, on some of the pc's still show the OLD connection SSID, so how do I get rid of those?  I've removed them from one of the Windows options but they still show up sometimes.  Could there be a conflict some place there with the old connections?

Jim

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
        « Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 06:58:31 PM »
        Good evening frog

If I am reading your post correct you are having an issue changing the sec key.
        Can't you go into the Dlink software pick the network ssid and then modify that profile then put in your sec key that you set up? for your network.

Plus I am assuming that your network is set up as such.
        Cable modem > Router > then all PC's are connected to the router thru the wireless

Hope this help you, Mike

Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

frog

Topic Starter

Beginner
          Re: UPDATE 4 wireless pc's problem
          « Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 04:01:59 AM »
          UPDATE - I been messing with these pc's and finally got them all connected to my new Dlink UN-SECURED connection, so it seems things go to *censored* when I try to make this connection secured.  So there is no problem with any distance between them and the router.  One of the original Windows errors was something about encryption.  Referring to my original post above, pc #2, #3, and #4 were previously secured before adding the new pc #1, so I'm guessing that the new technology in that pc might be screwing up the older ones.  Might just be a setting or something, but I'm not Windows 7 literate yet, so I don't know where to go without screwing up something else.  Any ideas on this is appreciated.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 10:39:17 AM »
          The most likely cause of the problem is having to use a security of WEP or WPA/WPA2 which some of the computer OS or adapter might not support since running without encryption have them connected. The SSID should be understood is your own router access point. Try also going to this link, just in case : http://www.mydigitallife.info/unable-and-cannot-connect-to-wpa-and-wpa2-encrypted-wireless-wi-fi-network-in-windows-xp/

frog

Topic Starter

Beginner
            « Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 07:00:41 PM »
            Hey Jason, that link looks like the solution for me.  Thanks, I'll start messing with it and see what happens.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            « Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 08:52:23 PM »
            jason2074,
            Excellent post and link.  :)
            That explains a lot of things about XP wireless.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 07:16:10 AM »
              Yes it sure does and when i read it i said this is going to solve the issue.Well done jason2074.truenorth

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 06:55:27 PM »
              Thanks. :) Hopefully frog would resolve the problem finally.

frog

Topic Starter

Beginner
                « Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 08:12:15 PM »
                I just now got all pc's on a new secured network, which was the original problem.  I used one of the XP's to do it since I'm familiar with the Dlink adapters and their utility program.  The TP Link adapter utility for W7 doesn't seem to be on the system.  I don't know what happened, or how it happened, or why, but all are now secured and problem solved.  Must have been a setting someplace that got the right tweek this time.  Thanks to all of the input here.
                Jim