Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CD-ROM spinning for no reason  (Read 7235 times)

Christopher

CD-ROM spinning for no reason
« on: July 14, 2004, 05:40:55 PM »
One of the compaq evo D300  desktops (MS XP pro) in my office is driving me crazy.  The CD-ROM will spin randomly for 20-30 minutes and then stop for a few minutes and then spin for 20-30 minutes.  This happens all day long.  The drive isn't being accessed, it just starts spinning.  This problem started a few months ago for reasons unexplained, and I have tried to find an answer.  It was suggested that this might be related to a virus, spyware, or adware but all of the virus defs are up to date and I receintly installed SPYBOT S&D as well as AD-WARE 6.0 but to no avail.  

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Christopher

2k dummy

Re: CD-ROM spinning for no reason
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 07:02:09 PM »
Do you have an automatic backup program attempting to access the drive? If so, error messages might be suppressed and simply written to a log file.

CLM

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2004, 07:17:26 PM »
No,  we don't run a back up program, it's a small office and anything that needs to be backed up is saved to cd.  

Thanks
CLM

2k dummy

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2004, 07:33:21 PM »
Is your CD writer software running in background or do you load it manually as needed?

CLM

Re: CD-ROM spinning for no reasonCD
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2004, 02:40:28 PM »
The software needs to be manually activated.  That said, it doesn't always have a disk in the drive when it starts to spin.  
I saw that this topic was posted in another thread, and the problem sounds the same, but the suggestion was to look into spy/ad ware removal programs.  It was also suggested that they should look into virus (trojan) projection, but the system I'm trying to fix is up to date (Norton 8.07 w/todays defs.)

Do you have any other thoughts?

2k dummy

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2004, 03:46:33 PM »
1. Could be a flakey connection. Open the case (unless it is still under warranty) and make sure the cable is properly seated.
2. Try turning off auto insert notification.
3. Check to make sure Norton isn't trying to scan the drive.
4. Go into device manager and remove the drive so that windows is forced to re-detect on reboot.
5. If all of these fail to solve the problem, you still have a nice beverage holder.

CLM

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2004, 04:12:13 PM »
Thanks for all of the suggestions.  I'll try them later.  
However, I don't think the tray will support a 7/11 52oz. drink cup.  Maybe I'll just put flowers in it.

CLM

MalikTous

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2004, 07:25:32 PM »
Disable the 'DirectCD', 'InCD', or other packet-writer software that came with the burner on that machine, and disable the Content Indexer or FastFind on all machines. This should make it quit trying to access the drive...

2k dummy

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2004, 07:43:32 PM »
Content Indexer or FastFind. I completely forgot about those since I never use them. They are indeed absolute hogs. And over a period of time, even the fastest machines will slow to a crawl with them enabled.