Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: addtron adh-1016 problems:  (Read 5430 times)

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Knowlege will take you further than any guide
    • Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
addtron adh-1016 problems:
« on: July 27, 2012, 09:34:18 PM »
Ok, so i have one of these addtron adh-1016 16 port hubs. I connected it through some CAT5 to the router of the home, then out to the computers, plugged it in, and nothing. It is my understanding through experience and through reading that network hubs, switches and whatnot do not need to be installed with a CD or other type of media.

Question is, why is this not working.

I have several computers hooked into an 8 port switch right now, and i am looking to expand, and they all work with the 8 port with all the same cords and everything. My main question is why would the new (well, old, but new to the network) not decide to work.

I can not, for the life of me, find a manual anywhere on the net for one of these.

I might as well trade it in for a rack mount switch if i cant get this solved.

thanks everyone.
I consider myself a hacker. Not in the way of "I can break into your facebook" but in the way, I like to learn as much as I can, about anything i can. I don't just like having things fixed, I like to understand why it was broken and why a particular solution fixed it. It is just how I am, and how I will always be. As teachers have said before, you cant learn if you don't figure it out in your own mind.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
Re: addtron adh-1016 problems:
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 07:30:39 PM »
Welcome to CH

I have several computers hooked into an 8 port switch
Please explain. More than 8 PCs?

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 11:09:48 PM »
I am currently using a 8 port switch, and am simply in need of more ports for some servers, and even if i do eventually downgrade, i would like to use this switch anyway, as it provides a faster speed for internal network communications (when it is working, anyway).
I consider myself a hacker. Not in the way of "I can break into your facebook" but in the way, I like to learn as much as I can, about anything i can. I don't just like having things fixed, I like to understand why it was broken and why a particular solution fixed it. It is just how I am, and how I will always be. As teachers have said before, you cant learn if you don't figure it out in your own mind.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 11:21:23 PM »
OK.
But I don't understand. If you are an IT professional, and you don't want to waste lour time, why even brother with something you can not get to work. Especially something so fundamental as a switch or hub.
What speed do you need? 
Do all computers need to be in the same group?

The above is sold on Amazon for under $60. What is you time worth?
Netgear FS116 ProSafe 16-Port Fast Ethernet Desktop Switch at Amazom

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 11:29:38 PM »
I am looking to fix what i have, firstly, to keep from spending money on things i already have, but just need to be fixed up.
I will most likely upgrade in the future as i am in more of a need for faster networking, but for now, i just have what i got.

I can not, for the life of me, find a manual online for this thing. at all. So i am asking here.

Sorry if this is an unanswerable question that i have asked, Please notify me if it is.

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 11:46:57 PM »
Hello again zeroburn

I have looked high and low for the manual with no luck.

When you say when you set everything up you got nothing are you talking about no "powerlights, linklights" etc or do you mean no connection / internet?

I am pretty sure you know this but the network should be (if you are still going to use the 8 port switch)

Cable modem> router> switch> hub> PC's or
Cable modem> router with hub and switch plugged into router> PC's
If you are not going to use the switch
Cable Modem> router> hub> PC's

There is not a lot of info on that model hub from what spec's I can find this is a UN-manged hub (no gui / web portal) if that unit is just a plain hub there should not be set-up / software all the ports on that switch are auto-negotiating so it will not matter what ports the PC's are connected to and the same will hold true for the cat cable that goes up to the switch.

If you are getting power to the switch try running a cat cable from #1 port to the switch then skip a port and the #3 port on to the PC's

Plus just in case try to use straight thru cat cables and not cross over cables.

Plus if for some strange reason this hub is a "managed hub" disconnect all cables to the hub and just plug in 1 cat cable into the #1 port on the hub and plug the other end into your pc and see if you can get a IP thru ipconfig chances being if you dont get an ip than it is just a plain hub.

Hopefully this helps you, Please let us know how you make out. Mike   
Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 11:54:35 PM »
I do get the power light on, and also link lights after plugging in the device to the power adapter. However, none of the computers within the network can "see" eachother, nor am i able to make a connection to the outside world, or anywhere outside of the network.

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 12:05:37 AM »
well, i tested the plugging of the hub to the network by plugging it into the switch, and then plugging the rest of the computers, and this is seeming to work, well, for the client computer, anyway.

I tried to transfer my webserver over to the hub, but when trying to access the website from another computer connected to the router through wireless, it was unable to connect, but when i have the webserver plugged into the 8 port switch, it works fine.

I am not completely sure, but i think i would not have to re-configure static IP settings for changing hubs/switches.

EDIT: it works after a few re-boots. Thanks guys for helping me make this work. However, i would like to know why skipping port 2 helped, if someone would like to share the why, thanks

EDIT: sorry, but plugging in the rest of the devices have proven that this is still very fidgety to get to work. Plugging in the actual servers results in the server being offline.

EDIT, AGAIN: Ok, so, i hope you can all laugh at my stupidity, but the reason it did not work was confusion in my patch cables between switches and hubs. so, yeah.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 12:15:44 AM by zeroburn »

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 12:24:03 AM »
Good evening zeroburn

That is great news to hear I am happy for you.  ;D ;D

I had a feeling it was something like that that is why I told you about the cables.

The skipping of the port should not have to be done with all ports being auto sensing but I have run into that with Hub's, Switches and routers. That is why I put that in there for you to save you a headache.

Some manufactures will tell you on some switches / routers if Port #1 is to be used as the uplink then the next port can not be used so the next available port is #3. But like I told you that hub is UN-managed so you should be OK but I have run into that issue with many Hub's, switches and routers.

But in the end I am happy for you. I did also put some stuff up for you on the DD-wrt router issue. Mike
Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?