Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Reusing old wireless routers as network bridge/repeater. Having problems.  (Read 56653 times)

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Knowlege will take you further than any guide
    • Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Ok, so i have two different routers to use as bridge/repeaters to the network within my residence. (I have learned that several servers running at the same time generate quite a bit of noise and must be moved somewhere convenient for that noise).

My previous post about the Addtron switch is still in need of answers. this is not my solution for that.

Well, I was around on the internet, and was reading on a blog post about a router that was converted to a wireless network bridge, and can be used as a repeater.

that blog is as so: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-turn-an-old-router-into-a-wireless-bridge/

That particular post only provided a simple tutorial, and as I always do, i go look at more research. I find this in-depth tutorial: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

This is all using a non-standard firmware for the router, as the router's default firmware does not offer these options.

I have a Cisco E1000 v1.0 router, and downloaded the firmware for such from the following site: http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database

after typing in Cisco and selecting my router, i had the firmware, which i did successfully update, and begin using.

However, after fallowing the tutorial several times, and doing the 30/30/30 reset between each try, i had always either encountered the router's WAN address as either 0.0.0.0 or as the WAN was disabled, in either case, i was unable to use the Bridge and Repeater functions.

Although, when i sacrifice the Bridge option, the device gets a WAN address, and allows me to gain internet access from the computer i had hard-wired into the router to configure everything. I also receive the SSID of the repeater on another laptop at my workstation, but i am unable to connect.

Network Diagnostics says to match the options on the router with those of the adapter card of the computer, however, i am using the same settings for transmitting the data as the main router to begin with.

Now, i would be happy to sacrifice the Repeater functionality of the device if i could gain the Bridge functionality of the device. It seems like i do for a temporary time when setting up the router/bridge/repeater, but that is lost as soon as i unplug the router from the computer i used to set up.

If anyone knows anything more about this than i do, or can point me to someone or some page that does, then please do, as i am eager to move some servers from the main workstation to another location without buying 50ft of Ethernet and running it through walls ext.
I consider myself a hacker. Not in the way of "I can break into your facebook" but in the way, I like to learn as much as I can, about anything i can. I don't just like having things fixed, I like to understand why it was broken and why a particular solution fixed it. It is just how I am, and how I will always be. As teachers have said before, you cant learn if you don't figure it out in your own mind.

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
Hi again zeroburn

I have to give you kudos for learning and experimenting  ;D

Here are a couple of things to keep in mind that may help you.

You can have 2 or more routers on a network but they must have a different IP's

A wireless bridge is meant to connect 2 segment (different) networks together.

AP is a access point.
A repeater is for taking your wireless signal were it starts to get weak and extend the range out further.

And yes DD-wrt is great i have it on my router at home and you can tweak it to your hearts content  :)

Most home routers (linksys etc) when you set them up the "wireless mode" connection is set to "router" try setting yours to "AP" and not bridge or router. You may find out this will work.

By the way what kind of connection coming in is yours "cable, dsl, sat etc"

Hope this helps, Mike   

Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
And here is yet another link for the wireless bridge thing.
http://lifehacker.com/5563196/turn-your-old-router-into-a-range+boosting-wi+fi-repeater
So, I have not tried it. It looks much too hard.

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
dd-wrt does not give me the option of setting it as AP, Access Point, or other variation. Only "Gateway, BGP, RIP2 Router, and Router" settings.

I would be interested in making use of these old routers. so thanks.

I did find the option for Access Point, but it would then not connect to the wireless network that i want to be bridging, i guess is how to say it.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 03:53:18 AM by zeroburn »
I consider myself a hacker. Not in the way of "I can break into your facebook" but in the way, I like to learn as much as I can, about anything i can. I don't just like having things fixed, I like to understand why it was broken and why a particular solution fixed it. It is just how I am, and how I will always be. As teachers have said before, you cant learn if you don't figure it out in your own mind.

gettingthere

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    leave your router plugged in to have your bridge option you will not be able to have both options as the repeater has nothing to do with the wireless signal for your system. The repeater can only be used with a 3 or 4G connection or cell connection, this is a different hz. frequency from the wireless signal your computer uses. It sounds like your only option is to leave the router plugged in for the bridge...........................hope this helps.................................. ........gettingthere

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    I really hope you get it to work. Prior research I have done leads to a dead i
    end. Here is a tip: all wireless routers must be the same model and specified by the maker to be usable in a repeater or Ad-Hoc network.
    Here is a quote:
    Beware, WDS is NOT a wifi certified protocol, so incompatibilities across manufacturers are extremely common. So much so that it's almost not worth the effort. Unfortunately, most manufacturers never mention it, and just assume (apparently) you'll only be using their equipment, exclusively.

That's why it's preferable to either use the same manufacturer's equipment, OR, use universal wireless repeating. Universal wireless repeating uses standard wifi protocols, and thus can connect to any other wireless device using those same standards, regardless of manufacturer.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/36942-43-tenda-w311r-repeater-work-linksys-wtr120n

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
    Good evening zeroburn

OK I am sorry on you not being able to set it as a AP it must be a limitation of the Broadcom chipset and then DD doesn't enable it then. I know with a lot of Atheros-based chip that this is a option.

Who is your ISP? and do you have DSL, Cable, T1 etc and do you have a static IP or DHCP coming in. The link you provided is V24 that supports wireless bridging!

#1... your first (primary wireless router) how is that one set up and what is the IP set up: The router is set as a "router" with DHCP etc and if you are static what addressing are you using from your ISP? and for in-house you are (192.168.1.100 and subnet 255.255.255.0 and gateway 192.168.1.1 etc)
    #2... What is the make and model of your 1st primary router. (i.e linksys WRT54G etc)
    #3... What is the modem from your ISP is that a modem & router or is it just a modem.
    #4... Is the primary router running DD-wrt and is so is it the version?
    These are the instructions for your chipset you have. The broadcom chipset.   

I did find this info just in-case you did not ever see it from there web site and these settings are just for "wireless NOT wired"

Broadcom
    [edit] Instructions

A very simple step-by-step description to connect a Router running selected DD-WRTV24 firmware in Repeater Bridge Mode. (This will work for almost everything, but do check notes on individual routers below clock).

If you are using a G router, use 12548 builds to create a wireless bridge. DO NOT USE SP1 OR THE MAY 24 08 BUILD.

This mode is NOT for WIRED connections between two routers! It is a wireless connection only.

To enable bridge mode between two routers, the primary router must be in AP mode (default) with DHCP Server enabled. The secondary router running DD-WRT v24 will be configured as the Repeater Bridge.

Restore Factory Defaults on Secondary (DD-WRT) Router
        Do a proper HARD 30-30-30 Reset on the router.
        Set your computer to a static IP of 192.168.1.9 if you know how to set static addresses. Otherwise leave your computer's network adaptor(s) programmed with the factory default setting of DHCP and the router will assign a valid address to your computer.
        Connect your computer to the secondary router via wired LAN port or as a wireless client. The dd-wrt default wireless SSID is "dd-wrt"
        Open the address http://192.168.1.1 in your web browser. Newer versions of DD-WRT will require you to set a password before you can continue.
        Open the Wireless -> Basic Settings tab
            Physical Interface Section
                Wireless Mode : Repeater Bridge
                Wireless Network Mode : Must Match Primary Router
                Wireless Network Name(SSID) : Must Match Primary Router exactly including exact case- Make sure you spell this correctly
                Wireless Channel : Must Match Primary Router (This will disappear once you put it in RB mode, and isn't needed)
                Wireless SSID Broadcast : Enable
                Network Configuration : Bridged
                Save
            Virtual Interfaces Section
                Add
                Wireless Network Name(SSID) : Different from Primary Router
                    [NOTE] - You CAN try using the same SSID but it usually will not work properly. Many have had random disconnects and/or no connection if the SSID's are the same.
                Wireless SSID Broadcast : Enable
                AP Isolation : Disable
                Network Configuration : Bridged
                Save
        Open the Wireless -> Wireless Security tab
            Physical Interface Section
                Security Mode : Must Match Primary Router and DD-wrt only works reliably with WEP or WPA2-AES
                WPA Algorithms : Must Match Primary Router
                WPA Shared Key : Must Match Primary Router
                Key Renewal Interval (in seconds) : Leave default
            Virtual Interfaces Section (note if you don't see this section your firmware should be atleast v24-sp2)
                Security Mode : Must Match Physical Interface
                WPA Algorithms : Must Match Physical Interface
                WPA Shared Key : Must Match Physical Interface
                Key Renewal Interval (in seconds) : Leave default
                Save
        Open the Setup -> Basic Setup tab
            Connection Type will be: Disabled
            Set STP for Disabled (Enabled sometimes can cause connection problems) redhawk
            IP Address : 192.168.1.2 (Assuming Primary Router IP is 192.168.1.1)
            Mask : 255.255.255.0
            Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (again assuming Primary Router IP is 192.168.1.1)
            DHCP Server: Disable
            Local DNS: 192.168.1.1 (if IP of Primary Router is 192.168.1.1)
            Assign WAN Port to Switch : Optionally enable this to use the WAN port as another LAN port.
            Save
        Log back into the router at it's new IP address of http://192.168.1.2
            Open Setup -> Advanced Routing tab
            Set Operating mode to "Router"
            Save
        Open Services
            Disable Dnsmasq
            Save
        Open the Security -> Firewall tab
            Uncheck all boxes...except Filter Multicast
            Disable SPI firewall
            APPLY Settings
        Reboot the router.
        Once you have it working, go to the wireless security tab, and set the same type of security AND key for both the primary and the repeater ssids and hit apply. Avoid WPA2 Personal MIXED, as it will likely kill communication between the routers (see Security section below for more on this). WPA2 Personal is fine.
        SET YOUR COMPUTER BACK TO AUTO IP AND AUTO DNS.

You should now be able to connect wired clients and wireless clients to the newly configured Secondary router . They will receive IP Addresses from the Primary Router and will be able to use the Internet connection supplied by the Primary Router.

Also take note of the fact that all repeaters, including this Repeater Bridge mode, will sacrifice half of the bandwidth available from the primary router for clients wirelessly connected to the repeater. This is a result of the repeater taking turns talking to not just one partner, but to two, and having to relay the traffic between them. As long as your internet bandwidth requirements are within this halved bandwidth amount there will be little or no reduction in "speed".
    [edit] Troubleshooting

Encryption type and key must be the same on both the primary and secondary router. The first thing to do when running into problems is to remove all encryption and see if the routers can connect. This is the single most common reason that bridged routers don't work

[edit] Wireless Clients cannot connect to Repeater

Disable security and try again. Delete and re-create your profile on the wireless computer. Check to make sure you have set security properly and that the key you used matches the key in the primary router. If one security type doesn't work try another on all routers. eg. try WEP or WPA2-AES [Mera Pakistan]
    [edit] NAT

Open the Set-up -> Advanced Routing tab and change the mode to "router" instead of "gateway".
    [edit] Wireless Clients have no Internet

Make sure you have a gateway specified in the repeater bridge router, and that the address there is the primary router.
    [edit] No packets making it accross the bridge - "Auto" channel setting

Pulling your hair out? Sporadic documentation got you down? Are you using the "auto" setting under Wireless -> Basic Settings - Wireless Channel? Try setting this to a fixed channel. Two days worth of battling with v24-sp2 on a d-link 615 d, with nary a mention of this setting in any walkthroughs. If this still dosn't fix it, try setting up the bridge with security disabled, then re-enable it once its working.Fonz 05:01, 9 September 2010 (CEST)

This is actually part of Step 5. Don't miss any parts of each step
    [edit] Issues with DIR-615 D4

The forums are full of people having issues with getting this to work on the DIR-615 HW rev: D4. I was able to get this working very easily using the latest brainslayer firmware. Less steps are needed for it also. See: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=153372
    [edit] Linksys

(Likely the same for al broadcom)

After this make sure your new subnet/ip address settings are working well on your router. If you try to do the wireless bridging first without making sure that your router isn't on the same ip address as the primary and is on the same subnet your router may become unresponsive. A 30-30-30 reset will fix this problem.

Finally, once and ONLY AFTER you are connected to your host AP, as the final step you will want to go to Setup > Advanced routing tab and change the setting from Gateway to Router. Then enable dynamic routing for both Lan & Wlan and apply your settings.

The other steps and procedures listed above for broadcom should work perfectly. I advise using a wired connection as it verifies the connection to the host AP best, then you can test wireless capability. Mine worked beautifully with WPA2 encryption and SSID's being the same.

Make sure that you click save, not apply between each step, as when you click apply, you will activate all changes, which may make accessing the router difficult.

I really hope this helps I know how frustrating it can be, please let us know how you make out, Mike

Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
      • Jared Kat Enterprises
    I am one of those people who want to make a use out of absolutely everything. I ran a website off of a craptop for the longest time, and this is just my newest project.

Well, i have the ISP of Comcast Cable, Cable Company, 12Mbps (not too fast, but that's not the deal), Cable modem, connected into router ethernet. Router is a NETGEAR WNDR3400 with the default firmware, but with bridging options in the firmware. This has the internal IP address of 192.168.1.1. This is the device with the DHCP server and what controls the lending out of IP addresses to the network. This is wireless broadcast throughout the building.

I have my workstation currently connected via 8 port unmanaged network switch connected to the LAN port of the router via 25 foot ethernet cord (my workstation is hugging the wall just to make it work out). I would like to set up the network bridge to allow this to be wireless to the main router, so i can remove this trip-hazard from the area, and continue on with my life.

This router i am using as the bridge is set to the IP of 192.168.1.200 and is connected to the 8 port switch that runs my workstation just to provide me access to edit the router settings and still ping up websites to read guides from ext.

After i figure out how to successfully complete this on this particular bridge, i will be trying to copy the instructions for another router, of a different model, the Linksys WRT54G2 V1 to run my server cluster in another part of the building as to not create too much noise inside the building.

I did read that guide that you copied/pasted, and followed it to the letter, at least i believe, several times, without success, as at the end of each time, i get the upper right corner saying that the WAN is disabled. either that or i get the quad zero's.

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
    Hi again zeroburn

I think I know what you may be able to do.  Your NETGEAR WNDR3400 has the same availability of DD-wrt v24 I would flash it and set the as the AP (primary router) don't set it as a "router" and then your new linksys as the repeater / bridge and follow the rest of the instructions in the post and you should be good. I think it is a compatibility issue. In most cases in a wireless network all wireless routers / ap etc should be from the same make / company etc. But if you have the same DD-wrt on both units I think you will a much better chance in accomplishing your network issues.

Just in case you don't know some routers when being set up must be set up using a cat cable from your laptop (make sure you disable your wireless on the laptop first) and then go into the routers GUI and do your setup. But some routers can be set up using your wireless conenection, but every DD-wrt router I have done I always had to use a cat cable (with wireless disabled on the PC) and then do my set up.   Then when you are done with the set up just unplug the cat cable from the laptop and re-enable the wireless connection on the laptop. Disabling the wireless on the laptops really a important step!!!!

One last note while you are setting everything set up the routers (document everything!!) so once you are all set up in that documentation you have the IP, SM, GW, user name, password, blocked web sites, TXpower etc. 

But on the plus side with determination and trial and error I have set up linksys routers with MSI routers, and cisco routers with buffalo routers etc. The same has hold true when I have set up POE (power over Ethernet) In most cases it can be done and I still give you a whole bunch of kudos and many thumbs up  ;D ;D ;D

I have no doubt you will get it. Please let us know how you are doing. I am curios on the out come. Mike   

Mike         

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    hartbeatmr,
    Thanks for the information. I am also following this post and have been confused by the instructions given on other sites. I am trying it with a WRT54G V8

Here is an item of interest:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Distribution_System

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
      • Jared Kat Enterprises
    So, as it seems, i am unable to modify the Netgear Main AP, i am not to risk stability, and this reportedly works even without the DD-WRT firmware on the transmitting end of the bridge, just the recieving.

And i also mapped out how i feel i want this network to look like.

Code: [Select]
    Planned Network Map

Cable In (12Mbps, ext ext)
    |
    Modem
    |
    Wireless AP: (192.168.1.1) (NETGEAR WNDR3400)
    |
    |
    |
    |--(      )--Wireless device 1: (192.168.1.2)
    |
    |--(      )--Wireless device 2: (192.168.1.3)
    |
    |--(      )--Wireless Device 3: (192.168.1.4)
    |
    |
    |--(      )--Wireless Bridge 1: (192.168.1.200) (Cisco E1000)
    |            |
    |            |----Network Switch
    |                 |
    |                 |----Workstation Computer 1: (192.168.1.100)
    |                 |
    |                 |----Workstation Computer 2: (192.168.1.101)
    |                 |
    |                 |----Workstation Device 1: (192.168.1.102)
    |                 |
    |                 |----Workstation Device 2: (192.168.1.103)
    |
    |
    |--(      )--Wireless Bridge 2: (192.168.1.201) (Lynksys WRT54G2 V1)
    |            |
    |            |----Network Switch
    |                 |
    |                 |----Server 1: (192.168.1.150)
    |                 |
    |                 |----Server 2: (192.168.1.151)
    |                 |
    |                 |----Server 3: (192.168.1.153)

So that should eliminate confusion. I have given up on using them to multi-task as a repeater and a bridge. My main focus is as the bridge.

For some reason, my configs will not allow this to work. Screen shot anyone?

Either way, i am not catching what is happening, so if someone has an idea, then that would be great. I have gotten it to work as just a repeater before, but i am in need of the bridge.

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
    Good morning zeroburn

I looked at the info you laid out but the dd-wrt pic's were so small it was hard to make out. I zoomed in so far on FF that I almost good see them. But here is what you may be able to do.

#1... Make sure all SSID's are same on ALL AP's / bridges etc
    #2... All security modes must match on all units (AP's / bridges etc)
    #3... The wireless is set to WEP or WPA2-AES on all units.
    #4... If your 1st AP's IP is 192.168.1.1 then "All" AP's / Bridges have to have the DNS IP's (192.168.1.1) with a SM of 255.255.255.0 and a GW 192.168.1.1
    #5... I would give static IP's to all PC's in house.
    #6... But here is what I would try Netgear address is 192.168.1.1 then the cisco e1000 is 192.168.1.2 then the other linksys is 192.168.1.3
    #7... Let say you have 3 rooms of PC's or 3 Buildings (just an example) I would give room / building 1 IP in the 10's then room / building 2 give them in the 20"s and say room / building 3 give them the 30's. This could be for tracking / identification etc. But they can be split up how ever you want. But realistically you would give a wider range of IP for expansion like each building would have say 30 IP's each. This part you can play with.   
    #8... If the static deal works you then can try doing DHCP for wireless PC's and static for hardwired PC's it is up to you. But if there is going to be any printers (that have say built in NIC's) I would give them static IP's and not DHCP for them. But if you do end up doing DHCP for the wireless PC's just make sure the PC's are out of the DHCP table!!!
    #9... Make sure the channel is the same on all routers.
    #10.. You are broadcasting in the wireless section.
    #11.. The 1st unit would be a AP all the others should be set as bridged
    #12.. Which ever one you use WEP or WPA2 on all units have the same wireless security / keys / SSID etc
    #13.. Also look at your modes for wireless If you have nothing but "N" cards put it as such if you have a mix of G and N the pick that :)

Please let us know how you make out, Mike 

Wow i hope i wrote everything down right for you and did not mess up up.   ;D     

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
      • Jared Kat Enterprises
    On the picture, just go to the direct link of http://kat.jared.tw/files/Wireless%20Settings.png to see the original screen shot. I have gone over everything with a fine tooth comb, but i will be re-trying after doing a reset on the bridge device.

Thanks for the help thus far.

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
    Hi again zeroburn

I am not being a wise guy but re-look at the "wireless mode" the picture you were nice enough in the PIC it is set to "N only" you have a mix of G and N equipment.

If I can think of anything else I will let you know.  Hope this is it for you, Mike

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    Question.
    Has the OP every got any two routers to 'talk' ton each other.?

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
      • Jared Kat Enterprises
    well, after setting up the router, i am able to view the google page and see my facebook, in real time, not a cached page of the browser.

This always wears off, but seems to be staying in effect for now. I'll have to see how things go when i use this to provide internet to the servers.

In basig, yes, i believe the two routers are able to communicate, as i can chat on facebook from the computer used to set up the router. Wireless card is turned off on the computer i am using to configure.

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
    Good morning zeroburn and welcome back

I am happy that you got it too work what did you do? was it the wireless channel or ?

But from reading your post you don't sound to happy or convinced that you will be OK.

Thanks, Mike

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
      • Jared Kat Enterprises
    Well, i will be in need of unpluging the router and putting it into place with my servers.
    EDIT: this part of this piece pf network hardware's installation makes me nervous

And i did just recently get back from a trip to montana, and now i am back to work.

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
      • Jared Kat Enterprises
    I am just about ready to call this working. The bride provides an internet connection with ping commands directed at google having the same latency in ms to return packet data as any other hard wired connection, although, when i get the opportunity to, this will be replaced by in-wall wiring.

I followed the directions using the (very helpful) suggestions of enabling n-g mixed wireless mode. i am not ready to mark solved, though, because i have yet to test if it works as a repeater also, as i have been led to believe it can. and seccondly, i do not have the machines that i intend to be on the other end of the bridge moved yet.

This idea was my solution to having all the humming servers and the external fan from affecting my workstation area, where i also do quite a bit of acoustic work.

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
      • Jared Kat Enterprises
    Sorry to be doing so many post's in a row.

The bridge is still working great, however, when i try pinging google.com, it returns that the host name is bad, but if i use the IP for google, it works just fine.
    Doing the same commands on any other computer not running behind the bridge, and it is just fine.

Code: [Select]
    root@SERVER5:/# ping google.comping: unknown host google.com
    root@SERVER5:/# ping 74.125.225.196PING 74.125.225.196 (74.125.225.196) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 74.125.225.196: icmp_req=4 ttl=55 time=2013 ms
    64 bytes from 74.125.225.196: icmp_req=5 ttl=55 time=1006 ms
    64 bytes from 74.125.225.196: icmp_req=6 ttl=55 time=16.0 ms
    64 bytes from 74.125.225.196: icmp_req=8 ttl=55 time=19.0 ms
    ^C
    --- 74.125.225.196 ping statistics ---
    8 packets transmitted, 4 received, 50% packet loss, time 7047ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 16.010/763.782/2013.930/826.966 ms, pipe 2
    root@SERVER5:/#

i am guessing that this is an issue with my configuration, however, i have all settings relating to domain names and host's set to values that are appropriate. such as the local DNS server being the main router (192.168.1.1) and whatnot.

If anyone has a clue, let me know.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    On either side of the bridge, what do you get for
    ipconfig /all