Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Firefox or Internet Explorer  (Read 14181 times)

Konnoryuu

Re: Firefox or Internet Explorer
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2005, 06:44:53 AM »
Only Idiots pay more when their computer gets infected and they have to pay for antivirus and/or a new computer (not neccessarily money).

Mac

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2005, 07:19:19 AM »
Give Opera a try and have it read web pages to you!  :)

Mac

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2005, 07:20:21 AM »
What does these options do Mac.  ???

Stops self-installing junk from self-installing...  ::)

kittykasey

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2005, 12:16:57 PM »
Hi All,
I am really new at this.  I just got Firefox because I had been having issues with how my PC is running.  I have AMD Athlon XP 1700+ (actually my son's).  The issue was we had been running without a firewall.  So the Forum experts at AMD suggested several things (all free) to do to get the system going better, faster, smoother.  Here is what I did.
Firefox, Sygate (firewall), Crap Cleaner, Ad-Aware.  This is just like getting DSL when you have dial up = It's Great!!  I am running the Windows 2000 Professional (someone from work installed it because he said it was better).

But I still have a problem.  It is taking nearly 30 minutes to nearly 3 hours just to get on line.  The PC wont even get to the icons on the desk top sometimes for almost 20 minutes and from there it is taking almost an hour before the log on to the Earthlink Total Access says that you have successfully logged on.  And then it takes another 40 minutes until the log on drops to the task bar.  And when I  click on the icon for the Firefox it says that the page is not found.  
What is causing this?  I did uninstall the Firefox because I thought it was that and it did not change anything.  
Any suggestions??
Kitty ???
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 12:21:10 PM by kittykasey »

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2005, 12:22:13 PM »
I just thought of another reason to use IE.
"Only girliemen use Firefox"  :-*

Wow. I'm interested to see Raptor's opinion! lol  (He swears by Firefox)

[glb]Flame[/glb]

GX1_Man

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2005, 12:24:51 PM »
there are other issues at work, and definitely not related to Firefox. So you have dialup? What is your connect speed? What kind of modem and what are the settings? What other processes are running/ I am definitely not convinced that you are spyware/adware/virus free. What was happening BEFORE all of these problems started.

Peccavi

Adviser

• Hope Helps!
    « Reply #21 on: October 02, 2005, 12:42:35 PM »
    Only girliemen fear viruses & spyware. :P

Are you sure Fed? How many times your computer have been down ?  :) Because you never use AV, Firewall, ASpyware etc.
    as you are not afraid of them. You say so  ;D
    And you never visit those famous sites where you should get harmful objects...  ;D
    Doesn't it seem to be paradox ??? ::)

ps: I use both IE and Firefox. But IE for special cases.
    Firefox does more and easy.
    « Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 11:07:00 PM by peccavi »
    Computer Hope: Rise of the Machines!

kittykasey

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2005, 01:39:13 PM »
    Boy! You guys always ask these technical things.....?????  I think the speed was 45.?   Modem??  Does this help:
    windows 2000
    Service Pack 4
    AMD  Athlon XP 1700
    261, 616 KB RAM

Next subject.  Long story short.  Son bought used Computer, 2 days later having problems, "they" said his issue and would be $39.99 for each problem to fix "it was a virus" ("they" said without seeing).  I took the PCU to work (my tech support) re configured and gave back with some advice = get spamware and firewalls.  The internet provider said it had all that.  Well, I guess it wasn't all that, because the BIG ISSUE was we would get pop ups by the HUNDREDS.  So I would contact them and they would tell me to re-install.  Then it was to uninstall and reinstall.  After the 8th time, I think they were beginning to ignore me.  So I found the type of PCU we had and went to their forum.  I did the Firefox change, got crap cleaner (already had Ad-Aware which wasnt working to well, but may have been overloaded.)  Then the system seemed to do a crash but not.  Cant explain.  So I uninstalled the Firefox went back to IE and started over.  Got the crap cleaner and Cleaned.  Then updated the Ad-Aware.  And Finally was able to get the Sygate Firewall on here.  Which keeps giving me notices it blocked stuff, but I dont know if it is something I use or not.  And I reinstalled the Firefox.  Which took about 2 hours this morning before I could actually get online.  BUT...... YIPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I HAVE NOT AND LETS REPEAT THAT NOT NOT NOT NOT HAD A POP UP!!!!!!!!!  Only the ones now and again from the Sygate that they blocked something.  If I log off and shut down next time I try to get back on the computer.  It will take about a good hour or more just to get the computer to get up and running.

RayG

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2005, 03:18:37 PM »
    Re: IE or Firefox?

It all comes down to personal preference. I've never really used IE, started out with Mosaic years ago and have always used an 'alternate' browser. Presently using Firefox on all three home systems because it works best for me. No spyware, popups, or ads to annoy me as I surf, and I enjoy the tabbed feature.

Others prefer other browsers. No harm in trying more than one and picking the one (or two) that you feel most comfortable with.

RayG

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #24 on: October 02, 2005, 04:42:26 PM »
      How many times your computer have been down

Never.
      Because you never use AV, Firewall, ASpyware etc.

I didn't say that.
      you are not afraid of them. You say so

I didn't say that.
      you never visit those famous sites where you should get harmful objects

I didn't say that.
      Doesn't it seem to be paradox

Yes.

Fed

• Sage
        • Experience: Experienced

GX1_Man

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2005, 05:00:27 PM »
        Never.
        I didn't say that.
        I didn't say that.
        I didn't say that.
        Yes.

So you were misquoted by the press, I hear.  ;D

Peccavi

Adviser

• Hope Helps!
          « Reply #27 on: October 02, 2005, 11:05:39 PM »
          Never.
          I didn't say that.
          I didn't say that.
          I didn't say that.
          Yes.

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
          Ok I know English weak!
          :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
          Computer Hope: Rise of the Machines!

Raptor

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2005, 08:07:07 AM »
          Use Mozilla Firefox.

Internet Explorer is only good for Windows Updates or ActiveX elements. Which you never need, anyway.

Agent

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2005, 01:33:32 PM »
          Using both only makes your skills more versitile. Over 50% of my clients use firefox so it is to my benefit not to snub one over the other. (ilikeff)  ;D