Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Firefox or Internet Explorer  (Read 13711 times)

Raptor

Re: Firefox or Internet Explorer
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2005, 02:08:32 PM »
I have most of my clients switch to Firefox. And they like it a lot.

RayG

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2005, 05:35:05 PM »
Internet Explorer is only good for Windows Updates...

Actually, you don't even need IE for Windows Updates if your computer is configured for automatic updates.

If you DO go with Firefox, I'd suggest installing the Adblock extension, with the Filterset.G blocklist. I find that works quite well.

RayG

merlin_2

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2005, 05:38:46 PM »
Firefox is a plugin -broswer.............avant ....was supposed to be msoft choice........after a lenghty court battle................................. ..........msoft lost to the inventor of ie the name escapes me?......

RayG

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2005, 07:27:18 PM »
Firefox is a plugin -broswer.............avant ....was supposed to be msoft choice........after a lenghty court battle................................. ..........msoft lost to the inventor of ie the name escapes me?......

I thought Microsoft WAS the inventor of IE.

Not sure what you mean by 'plugin' browser. Firefox is independent of any other software on the computer, and stands on its own as a browser. IE is tied to the Windows OS, which is the main reason IE starts so quickly and Firefox doesn't. If you meant Firefox can be customized by installing plugins (or extensions), I heartily agree. There are a large number of extensions, most of which I have no use for, but they allow you to customize the browser for your own specific preferences.

There are a number of browsers out there that utilize the IE browser engine -- Avant, MyIE, Smart Bro, Phaseout, etc.-- but Microsoft didn't develop them, nor did they even develop the first browser for Windows.  

Mosaic (1993), Cello (1993), and Mozilla (1994) all had popular browsers available for Windows before Microsoft came out with IE in 1995.

When I started out on the net, Mosaic was my browser of choice until I switched to Mozilla, then Netscape (basically the same underlying coding, just a name-change), then back to Mozilla, and finally to Firefox. I guess IE has always been relegated to the back-burner on my computer systems, and to be honest, I haven't needed it.

Sorry...got sidetracked with a history lesson... :D

RayG

kittykasey

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2005, 08:48:12 PM »
Kitty here, thanks for the input from a while ago.  I have been working with some of the tech support on AMD and they got me pretty far.  I did reinstall the Firefox and I like it a lot.  

I am still in a wee bit of a pickle and not sure where to post.  But I am really computer iliterate and have tons of questions but not sure where to post them.  Any suggestions?  Here are some examples;
1) I was getting help with zip files.  And when it did not work I panicked that I had done something wrong so I believe that the support from AMD kind of gave up on me.  So I was trying to go back to review because I may have stumbled along the way in this Computer 101.

If I download a zip file such as regseeker.zip and I am not sure that I opened it properly = do I delete it and start again?  Or is it uninstall?  And how do I know I got it all deleted?  Or can I just download it again?  Extract or unzip mean the same thing right? and when I unzip it does that mean that it is now running?  I am so confused.  I tried to read up on this and I am not sure what I am reading without some one to answer me if I am on the right track.  Do you have just a questions and answers forum?  And is there anyone who has the patience for a newbie to ask some really far out there questions?  (MORE THAN ONCE?)
:( :-[ :'(
« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 08:51:50 PM by kittykasey »

GX1_Man

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2005, 09:02:42 PM »
Try to post just one question at a time in the specific forum for that subject. If you don't know, use Computer Unknown. The more information you give, the more likely you are to get a prompt response by one of the resident experts. this is kind of  a thread hijack (although it is your own thread) as the subject now does not coincide with what you are asking.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

IH8FMS

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2005, 06:18:14 PM »
I just thought of another reason to use IE.
"Only girliemen use Firefox"  :-*

------------------------------------
Totally OT observation from an old harridan...

Didja ever notice when you want to insult a man, all ya gotta do is call him a woman??????

Rusty

Rookie
  • Focus, Focus, Fo.c..u........ ..wait, ..What?
    « Reply #37 on: October 19, 2005, 06:34:55 PM »
     ;D
    Nothing like a hearty discussion.

I started using firefox for my quick searches, when I just want to jump online. I have it set to go right to google.

When I sign on to MSN, it is set to use IE, which I never changed. I prefer Firefox, but not enough to argue about.

The only thing I find to be a hassle, is signing on to MSN. It must be a huge program, because it takes forever (in computer time) to load and sign on. ('bout 30 seconds to a minute).
    :P

Remember if you have ADD a minute can seem like a lifetime. ::)
    ADD means never being bored.