Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows media player error C00D11B1  (Read 10838 times)

nastassja

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    windows media player error C00D11B1
    « on: August 06, 2012, 05:16:32 AM »
    Ever since I got a new laptop, music ripped from CDs to media player will not play and I get an error message that says 'wmp encountered a problem trying to play this file.'

I have sought advice on windows help and forums etc. and have checked that audio drivers are up to date. Troubleshooter said I have configuration problems - I assume this meant with the internet so I changed it to 'automatically detect settings' but none of this has made a difference. I also don't see how internet could be an issue - when ripping cds I have been able to get album info through wmp's connection to internet.

Please note: this error is the same for ALL ripped music. Downloaded music plays fine.

Any help much appreciated, thanks.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: windows media player error C00D11B1
    « Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 06:06:05 AM »
    Have you tried any other media players?

nastassja

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 07:51:34 AM »
      No, I don't have any other media players! Have you any ideas what the problem might be?

nastassja

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 08:27:14 AM »
        OK - ripped music plays in VLC player but there's no sound! Downloaded music is fine on both VLC and WMP.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 10:46:01 AM »
          How do you know that the ripped music is playing in VLC if you have no sound? What are the file types (extensions) of the music files that won't produce sound? What program was used to "rip" them? In your audio controls do you have anything muted? truenorth
          P.S. Doing further research on your behalf i have found the following Microsoft site that deals extensively with this error in WMP. While it states to deal with the issue in win 7 it also makes references to other O/S so have a look at it to see if anything might work for you.
          By the way has this audio situation that won't work now ever worked for you? Are your sound card drivers the most current? Do you have any yellow asterisks or question marks in your device manager particularly related to your sound card?
          http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/windows-media-player-error-c00d11b1-win-7-ultimate/296c5ebf-29c5-4d32-b05e-87311be25733
          « Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 11:01:05 AM by truenorth »

nastassja

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 07:11:21 AM »
            Thanks for your help. In answer to your questions:

1) the files were ripped in windows media player. I presume they are therefore in wma format? The properties tabs for these files do not say what format they are in.
            2) I have always had this problem with wmp. It is a relatively new computer (c.6 months) and I started having this problem from the first time I ripped music to the library.
            3) In my device manager there are no flags on the sound device panel and I have already tried updating all drivers but they were already up to date.

I have followed your link to windows help and may try the advice there for reinstalling all the sound drivers. Their page on the error I'm experiencing 'C00D11B1' I have already been through with no luck/change.

Thanks x

nastassja

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 07:12:49 AM »
              PS - I know that the files are playing in VLC because the time bar moves as if it is playing but no sound comes out my speakers. NB - my speakers do work IN GENERAL i.e. sound on video content over the internet, DVDs and other music files.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 07:49:00 AM »
                Very much sounds to me that the problem is emanating from the "ripping" with WMP.I would suggest that you install and try another ripper there are many free ones. Perhaps another member can suggest one they have had good results with.truenorth

nastassja

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 07:51:20 AM »
                  OK, thanks a lot for your help.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 07:55:31 AM »

johhny-marshal

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 04:27:56 AM »
                      If you want to solve the issue with WMP then you need to go to Add or Remove programs in control panel. There on left side, you will find an option " Add/Remove Windows components" click that and choose accordingly. You can repair WMP. But you need that Windows Disc.