Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: best router/repeater for apartment building  (Read 3637 times)

shrvjack

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    best router/repeater for apartment building
    « on: August 07, 2012, 06:04:03 PM »
    I have ordered and returned three different repeaters that did not have sufficient power to boost a signal from my apartment building's LAN.  (The local broadband coverage with AT&T dropped so often [over 40 times in one month] that I discontinued my service after three months.)  I now have to go to the main lobby to get onto the Internet. 

The office's LAN seems to be fairly consistent and stable, but it simply does not have the power to reach the approximately 150-200 feet to my room on the 3rd floor.  I don't mind paying $200-$300 if necessary for a repeater, but my hit-and-miss approach to finding a product that has not been over-hyped is getting old.  Even after researching on the Internet, I'm still confused.  Every site seems to promise the moon, but their product has not worked.

Please help me find something that works.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: best router/repeater for apartment building
    « Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 06:40:35 PM »
    The practical range of 802.11x wireless is more like 30 meters, about 100 feet under average conditions. The government does not allow higher power.
    The best option for ab apartment building  or hotel is to use  the co-ax cable of the TV system to send Internet into every room.
    The cable companies do this kind of stuff. Typical use is one device coves two apartments. The download speed is often 10 Mbps, much better than DSL.

Ignore the results you find in Google search. Using a repeater in en environment that already has cable installed is pointless.

Talk to the cable company.

EDIT: In the USA it is the FCC that stops you from using more power on wireless. And the same agency prevents Comcast from giving consumers the best possible deals on Internet, TV and local phone service in an apartment complex.
    Go Figure.
    « Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 06:51:21 PM by Geek-9pm »

shrvjack

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: best router/repeater for apartment building
      « Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 06:34:47 AM »
      Thank you for your information.  I see now that I have to go the cable route.