Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: FLASH DRIVE  (Read 15215 times)

Jeffrey

Topic Starter

Beginner

FLASH DRIVE
    « on: January 06, 2013, 04:45:38 AM »
    For some unknown reason my computer has suddenly stopped recognizing my Ativa memory stick (my other memory sticks are fine).

I have looked in Device Manager and opened Universal Serial Bus Controllers. I have then plugged the memory stick into the drive and it shows up as USB Mass Storage Device.

Nevertheless, it still does not show up on the Computer - so I can't open or save to it.

I have gone online to ensure that I have the correct driver - and am told that everything is ok!

What else can I do?!!

Salmon Trout

Re: FLASH DRIVE
    « Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 05:28:36 AM »
    Have you plugged it in and then found the volume in Disk Management?

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=21481

Also try it in one or more other computers and see if it is recognised.

Jeffrey

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 05:51:00 AM »
      Thanks, Salmon Trout!

I have Windows 7. Disk Management says Healthy Status  but there is nothing appearing under "File System". I cannot locate a dialogue box to enable to me to insert/change to NTFS.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 06:10:32 AM »
      I have Windows 7

You posted in the Windows NT/2000 section.

The filesystem may have become corrupted, and may need to be formatted or repaired.

Check this out

http://html5.litten.com/how-to-fix-external-disk-drive-suddenly-became-raw/

Jeffrey

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 06:19:25 AM »
        Thanks for the article, but with all the dire warnings (I am most certainly not a computer techie) am too scared to try - I am likely to do more damage than good!!

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 06:22:02 AM »
        Failure of a flash drive is not an unusual thing. Have you tried it in another computer?