Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop keeps on turning off and then restarts randomly  (Read 26829 times)

y2000

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Laptop keeps on turning off and then restarts randomly
    « on: August 12, 2012, 02:36:34 PM »
    For the past few weeks my laptop has been turning off and then rebooting itself randomly. In the begging it would turn off once or twice and then work fine but now it just keeps on turning off and reboots every time I use it in the normal mode (windows 7 64bit). It works in the safe mode but in the normal it doesn't. I tried the many things such as:

Clean boot
    checked hard drive and memory
    re installed windows 7
    set the bios to default
    cleaned vents and applied thermal paste
    I have a Hitachi hard drive so i did the drives fitness test and repaired the errors

None of these helped... the problem is still there.

Need Help!!!! :'(

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Laptop keeps on turning off and then restarts randomly
    « Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 02:39:14 PM »
    Download BlueScreenView:
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
    unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
    when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
    Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
    Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

y2000

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 02:46:17 PM »
      thank you for the reply allan I m going to try this right now

y2000

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 03:34:04 PM »
        hello Allan I tried blue screen view but it does not list any crash...i downloaded the zip file in the safe mode then logged back in the normal mode...then after few mins my laptop turned off and reboots...i logged in the safe mode again, clicked on blue screen view but it does not list any crashes. :(

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 03:38:31 PM »
        Okay. Just wanted to see if it was bsods that were causing the restarts. If it doesn't happen in safe mode it probably isn't a hardware problem. That would lead me to guess (and at this point it's just a guess) that it is either malware or something loading with the system.

1) Have you run full system scans with BOTH your anti virus app as well as MalwareBytes? If not, please do.

2) We can try a selective startup. It's a lengthy process, but if the problem is some process loading with Windows this will help you identify it.

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.

After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

y2000

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 03:52:22 PM »
          Before re installing the windows I did perform full system scan using trend micro housecall (my trend micro titanium does not work in safe mode therefore I Had to use Housecall) and result, there was nothing. I also tried the malwareByte before the re installation of windows but it was not full system scan but it did find two malwares which I deleted. After re installing the windows, I tried the selective startup but again no luck, the problem was still there.

Should I still perform full system scan again with both?

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 04:04:29 PM »
          There's certainly now harm in doing so, is there?

y2000

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 04:10:47 PM »
             nope... I will do it and let you know once the scanning is finished thx Allan :)

y2000

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 07:01:51 PM »
              Hey Allen I m back. As u suggested, I did the full system scans with both the housecall and malwarebytes. Their is no virus or malware etc. I also tried the selective startup but when I log in the normal mode it just turns off randomly and then reboots...

One thing I did notice is that when I log in the safe mode during the loading of drivers...my laptop seems to freeze (i mean it does not load as quick as the other drives and this is the last thing that happens in the loading). This happens only for few seconds at the classpnp.sys (only for few seconds) then safe mode starts and work fine. I tried the following instructions which found on http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprogeneral/thread/566cdd43-ce91-4e64-93e0-8d09d8fc1ea0 :

Try the following resolution:

1. Boot the computer to windows recovery mode.

2. Click Commmad Prompt, type in:

rename c:\windows\system32\drivers\classpnp.sys classpnp.old

Note: I assume that your windows is installed on C drive. I have tested this step, it will not crash your system.

When I performed this instructions using the recovery disk it did not work. Then I tried it in safe mode as administrator and it said access is denied. From here IDK what to do?? :-\

Are their any other options to fix my laptop? ???

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
              « Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 09:22:07 PM »
              Disable auto restart http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/automatic-restart-windows-7.htm and post the exact bluescreen result here.
              You have mentioned of hard drive was fixed of certain errors. What software or laptop feature did you used to test the HD?

Allan

• Mastermind
              « Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 06:09:23 AM »
              Disable auto restart http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/automatic-restart-windows-7.htm and post the exact bluescreen result here.
              You have mentioned of hard drive was fixed of certain errors. What software or laptop feature did you used to test the HD?
              We've already established there are no blue screen errors

y2000 - yeah, I've seen the Google results and it appears this is not an uncommon issue. It seems it can be anything from a bad hd or cable to a questionable MS Update to something else. Jut one quick question - please open device manager - are there any yellow or red symbols?

Other than that I'm sorry, but I'm at a loss and I don't want to keep guessing. Let's wait and see if anyone else has any ideas for you short of a new install.

y2000

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 10:23:21 AM »
                Yea there were about 3 yellow marks I disable them but the problem was still there, they were under the other device and when i clicked on them there was no information regrading what kind of driver or device it is... last night I just erased the disk using the Disk fitness by hitachi and checked the disk, my S.M.A.R.T status: GOOD and no errors were found. I also used memtest86 and again no errors were found. (also I don't think that there could be a power supply issue cuz last night, to perform the disk clean up, my laptop was on for the whole night and it did not turn off).

Then Today, I tried to re-install windows but every time when the windows logo shows up my laptop turns off and reboots. But When I press F8 after the brand name of my laptop while the windows installation disk in the CD-ROM. I see the loading bar and then i get the option of safe mode and last good know config, directory...etc. Then, when I choose safe mode the installation of windows works then the computer restarts (normally, no power turn off) to finish the installation. However, when it reboots (in order to complete the installation) it is no longer in the safe mode. And since it is not in safe mode, before the whole installation of windows completes again my laptop turns off and then I have to re-start the installing from the beginning.

I just don't understand what's the real  problem with my laptop. ???

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
                « Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 08:40:50 AM »
                What laptop model do you have? Maybe you need to nuke the hard drive or flash the BIOS first before going for another reinstall. You have mentioned of hard drive test with errors repaired.

y2000

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 01:09:51 PM »
                  It is a toshiba A305-S6843. Luckly, I was able to install the windows it did not turn off during the installation this time. So, now I have windows 7 64bit installed but it still turns of randomly when I am in the normal mode.

Could it be a bad memory or slot? I have two memory slots with 2gb of ram in each. But when i put rams one by one in each slot. In one of the slots both rams don't work (as soon as i press the on bottom the laptop turns on but then quickly turns off) while in the other slot both rams work I am able log in the normal mode but then after few mins laptop would turn off.

Could this be a indicator of a bad memory or slot? Or something else...
                  « Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 02:04:34 PM by y2000 »

Fed

• Sage
                    • Experience: Experienced
                    « Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 02:28:24 PM »
                    Just to be clear y2000...

Is it turning off then sometimes also turning back on or is it restarting?
                    Your first post is a little vague on it.

When you first downloaded the blue screen viewer did you unzip it & install it then check for reports after the first failure? It won't make a report while it's sitting there zipped up.

y2000

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 02:38:38 PM »
                      Fed

It turns off and then boots randomly. For instance, i m the normal and randomly it would turn off then it start itself again from the beginning like when u shut down ur computer and then when u press The ON buttom.

I did unzip the bluescreen and then checked it after the failure occured no crashes where there it was blank..

Allan

• Mastermind
                      « Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 02:41:34 PM »
                      I do not mean this as a rude or sarcastic question, so please don't take it that way. Fed is asking if the system actually shuts down or simply reboots. Do you understand the difference?

y2000

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2012, 02:47:14 PM »
                         It's cool Allan u guys r just trying to help me....It does not shut down it turn off like if the power supply is unplugged and then it would start (reboots) from the beginning like when u press the ON button (itself)
                        « Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 02:58:22 PM by y2000 »

Allan

• Mastermind
                        « Reply #18 on: August 14, 2012, 03:01:26 PM »
                        I'm sorry, but your response doesn't clear anything up. When the system reboots the power continues going through the system to the accessories including the screen (the standby lights will remain lit). If it actually shuts down, everything goes "dark" just as if you pulled the power cord. In both cases, when the system restarts it goes through the entire boot process.

Fed

• Sage
                          « Reply #19 on: August 14, 2012, 03:08:17 PM »
                          I'm not getting it either, try what Jason said in post #9.

y2000

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2012, 03:20:22 PM »
                            let me try again...everything goes "dark"... no screen no standby light or anything just like if the power supply is unplugged and then in a sec or two it turn on itself from the beginning the brand name shows, the bios loads, all accessories including the screen works.

I hope this might help clear what i m trying to say...let me know if it doesn't.

y2000

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2012, 03:31:57 PM »
                              Btw Allan one more thing remember u asked me if their were any yellow marks in the device manager... right now I have three yellow marks in Other Device.

[year+ old attachment deleted by admin]
                              « Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 03:45:09 PM by y2000 »

Allan

• Mastermind
                              « Reply #22 on: August 14, 2012, 03:49:27 PM »
                              I've got to admit I'm stuck. If it wasn't for the fact that it runs fine in safe mode I'd say it's a hardware problem.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                              • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                                • Yes
                                • Yes
                                • BC-Programming.com
                              • Certifications: List
                              • Computer: Specs
                              « Reply #23 on: August 14, 2012, 03:52:38 PM »
                              Could also be overheating.
                              I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Allan

• Mastermind
                              « Reply #24 on: August 14, 2012, 03:52:57 PM »
                              But it doesn't happen in safe mode.

y2000

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2012, 03:59:31 PM »
                                yeap it does not happen in the safe mode I m confused too...

I have two memory slots with 2gb of ram in each. But when i put the rams one by one in each slot. In one of the slots both rams don't work (as soon as i press the ON button the laptop turns on but then quickly turns off) while in the other slot both rams work I am able to log in the normal mode but then after few mins laptop turn off...

right now I m using the slot in which both the rams worked and the other slot is empty...good news that the stability of my laptop has increased...i mean it is still turning off but not as quickly as b4 also it no longer turning off at the windows logo as in the past... now i m at least able to log in the normal mode each time when it turns off, in the past i was not able to do this.

y2000

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2012, 04:01:18 PM »
                                  BC_programmer

I already cleaned the vent and reapplied thermal paste it didn't work  :(

Computer_Commando

Hacker
                                  • Experience: Expert
                                  « Reply #27 on: August 14, 2012, 04:35:14 PM »
                                  It is a toshiba A305-S6843. Luckly, I was able to install the windows it did not turn off during the installation this time. So, now I have windows 7 64bit installed but it still turns of randomly when I am in the normal mode.

Could it be a bad memory or slot? I have two memory slots with 2gb of ram in each. But when i put rams one by one in each slot. In one of the slots both rams don't work (as soon as i press the on bottom the laptop turns on but then quickly turns off) while in the other slot both rams work I am able log in the normal mode but then after few mins laptop would turn off.

Could this be a indicator of a bad memory or slot? Or something else...
                                  I've read through this entire thread 2 times.  You have two 2-GB RAM modules, are they identical?  If they are, they may be attempting to run in dual-channel, but are not, so it could be either a bad RAM module or a bad RAM slot or a bad memory controller (on the motherboard).

You also said Memtest passed?  Did you run it with both modules installed?  How long did it take to run?

Download, install & run HWInfo64, the main window will have all the RAM info.
                                  http://www.hwinfo.com/download64.html

y2000

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2012, 04:49:56 PM »
                                    Computer_Commando thx for the reply

Yes. The ram modules are identical. I did run the memtest with both modules installed i think it took about 25-40mins (not 100% sure), plus I also ran the memtest on each individual modules one by one it took about 15-25min (again i m not 100% sure). There were no errors in either case. I don't really understand RAMs. So, I have uploaded a screenshot of hwinfo. (currently only one of the memory modules is installed).

Fed

• Sage
                                      « Reply #29 on: August 14, 2012, 05:01:36 PM »
                                      Switching off auto restart takes about 30 seconds....

Start>Settings>Control Panel>System>Advanced>Start up & Recovery....
                                      Turn off auto restart.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
                                      « Reply #30 on: August 14, 2012, 05:12:03 PM »
                                      Memtest is supposed to take hours not minutes.
                                      You will need to run Memtest with both RAM modules installed, with only 1, Mode will be single channel.
                                      Run Safe Mode with both modules installed & then see what HWInfo says.
                                      You have dedicated graphics card, could be bad video RAM (no way to test it or the card).

y2000

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2012, 01:59:12 PM »
                                        Computer_Commando

Alright. I followed the instruction you posted. I performed the memtest while both modules installed for 18hrs and 14passes. No errors were found. Then, I tried to run hwinfo in safe mode but kept getting the error "cannot install hwinfo driver."  Therefore, I used the normal mode but when I started the normal mode right after the performing the memtest, my laptop kept on turning off in few mins after logging in the normal mode. So, waited for couple hours then I logged in the normal mode (this time i was able to take pic before it would turn off again,) turned on the hwinfo and this what it shows (sry about the quality I attached the pic as a pdf).

« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 02:26:43 PM by y2000 »

Computer_Commando

Hacker
                                        « Reply #32 on: August 15, 2012, 07:11:37 PM »
                                        I've got to admit I'm stuck. If it wasn't for the fact that it runs fine in safe mode I'd say it's a hardware problem.
                                        I have to agree with Allan.  Let's look at the Device Manager. It says:  "Base System Device" problem.  This may be the card reader, not sure what this has to do with RAM.  Are there any cards in the slot?  Try to fix this driver & see what happens.

There are many driver downloads for your OS (p.4&5 for card reader).
                                        http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=DL&os=&category=&moid=1998652&rpn=PSAG4U&modelFilter=A305-S6843&selCategory=2756709&selFamily=1073768663

y2000

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2012, 12:26:32 PM »
                                          hello, Allan and Computer_Commando

I started a new forum on the Toshiba website and got this reply from Jerry ( http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Computer-Troubleshooting/My-Laptop-A305-S6843-keeps-on-turning-off-and-then-boots/td-p/323034 ):

"Since the problem persists after reinstalling Windows (assuming you have repartitioned/reformatted), this is clearly due to hardware (or BIOS).

Things can be better after booting into Safe Mode when drivers which interact with the failing hardware are not loading."

I was wondering if you guys could recommend any softwares or test that would allow me find motherboard, cpu and etc. hardware problems.  (I tired the device manager besides the base system error ( I disabled it but the problem is still there) no other errors. 

thx

Computer_Commando

Hacker
                                          « Reply #34 on: August 16, 2012, 12:49:40 PM »
                                          From the other forum:  "...Things can be better after booting into Safe Mode when drivers which interact with the failing hardware are not loading. You might want to remind Allan of that..."  This does not require reminding.  We all know that.

You are already running the latest BIOS version (1.80), so rule that one out.
                                          Nirsoft BSV should have found something:  http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
                                          If it's not a driver, it must be hardware, not realistic to start disconnecting items on a laptop, although, at this point the laptop is not of much use.
                                          Did you try reinstalling the Card Reader drivers?  Does it even work, Safe Mode or Normal?  Put an SD card in it.

Probably best to sell the Toshiba for parts & move on.  Since it's not that old, you may get $100 for it, as is.  You can get a new laptop for under $500.  You can get a reconditioned one a couple years old for under $200.