Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop keeps on turning off and then restarts randomly  (Read 26658 times)

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Laptop keeps on turning off and then restarts randomly
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2012, 05:12:03 PM »
Memtest is supposed to take hours not minutes.
You will need to run Memtest with both RAM modules installed, with only 1, Mode will be single channel.
Run Safe Mode with both modules installed & then see what HWInfo says.
You have dedicated graphics card, could be bad video RAM (no way to test it or the card).

y2000

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #31 on: August 15, 2012, 01:59:12 PM »
    Computer_Commando

Alright. I followed the instruction you posted. I performed the memtest while both modules installed for 18hrs and 14passes. No errors were found. Then, I tried to run hwinfo in safe mode but kept getting the error "cannot install hwinfo driver."  Therefore, I used the normal mode but when I started the normal mode right after the performing the memtest, my laptop kept on turning off in few mins after logging in the normal mode. So, waited for couple hours then I logged in the normal mode (this time i was able to take pic before it would turn off again,) turned on the hwinfo and this what it shows (sry about the quality I attached the pic as a pdf).

[year+ old attachment deleted by admin]
    « Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 02:26:43 PM by y2000 »

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    « Reply #32 on: August 15, 2012, 07:11:37 PM »
    I've got to admit I'm stuck. If it wasn't for the fact that it runs fine in safe mode I'd say it's a hardware problem.
    I have to agree with Allan.  Let's look at the Device Manager. It says:  "Base System Device" problem.  This may be the card reader, not sure what this has to do with RAM.  Are there any cards in the slot?  Try to fix this driver & see what happens.

There are many driver downloads for your OS (p.4&5 for card reader).
    http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=DL&os=&category=&moid=1998652&rpn=PSAG4U&modelFilter=A305-S6843&selCategory=2756709&selFamily=1073768663

y2000

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #33 on: August 16, 2012, 12:26:32 PM »
      hello, Allan and Computer_Commando

I started a new forum on the Toshiba website and got this reply from Jerry ( http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Computer-Troubleshooting/My-Laptop-A305-S6843-keeps-on-turning-off-and-then-boots/td-p/323034 ):

"Since the problem persists after reinstalling Windows (assuming you have repartitioned/reformatted), this is clearly due to hardware (or BIOS).

Things can be better after booting into Safe Mode when drivers which interact with the failing hardware are not loading."

I was wondering if you guys could recommend any softwares or test that would allow me find motherboard, cpu and etc. hardware problems.  (I tired the device manager besides the base system error ( I disabled it but the problem is still there) no other errors. 

thx

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      « Reply #34 on: August 16, 2012, 12:49:40 PM »
      From the other forum:  "...Things can be better after booting into Safe Mode when drivers which interact with the failing hardware are not loading. You might want to remind Allan of that..."  This does not require reminding.  We all know that.

You are already running the latest BIOS version (1.80), so rule that one out.
      Nirsoft BSV should have found something:  http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
      If it's not a driver, it must be hardware, not realistic to start disconnecting items on a laptop, although, at this point the laptop is not of much use.
      Did you try reinstalling the Card Reader drivers?  Does it even work, Safe Mode or Normal?  Put an SD card in it.

Probably best to sell the Toshiba for parts & move on.  Since it's not that old, you may get $100 for it, as is.  You can get a new laptop for under $500.  You can get a reconditioned one a couple years old for under $200.