Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Briefcase Not Syncing, Appears as 'File Folder'  (Read 5002 times)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
Briefcase Not Syncing, Appears as 'File Folder'
« on: August 05, 2012, 07:28:56 PM »
Win 7, Dell laptop

Just noticed my briefcases - what I use to back up the lap to external HDs - ain't working right. Used two weeks ago, were fine then.

The icon still appears as Briefcase, and it doesn't give me an "out-of-sync" or broken link or anything like that, it just behaves like a normal subdirectory.

Suggestions?
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Briefcase Not Syncing, Appears as 'File Folder'
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 01:26:32 PM »
This kind of problem was considered on a MS forum.
Briefcase not working on Windows 7
The general drift is to not use it on Windows 7.

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 03:33:35 AM »
Good morning rjbinney and welcome to CH

This kind of problem was considered on a MS forum.
Briefcase not working on Windows 7
The general drift is to not use it on Windows 7.
+1 here

But with in Windows 7 I don't know if you are aware of this windows 7 has a back up feature you can do folders that MS thinks you want or the ones you choose. This link may help you just in-case you don't know of it http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/backup-and-restore
Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 10:42:04 AM »
I've had success with Briefcase in 7, as long as the case itself stays below a certain size limit. (Don't know what that is, exactly - it has worked for 1-ish GB folders, it doesn't with 20GB itunes libraries...)

Sorry for the late follow up. I'm only home (where my Briefcase backs up) on weekends.

Two reboots (not one, two), and everything's back to normal.

So, um, thanks! Must have been an ID-ten-T error.

(And, Geek, for better or worse, I tend to look for "systemic" help here... Access and Word help, I go to MS' boards, and Excel I go to MrExcel... But if Windows or hardware confounds me...It's straight to CH!)
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.