Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ASUS Xonar Essence STX sound card produces no sound in new build  (Read 17614 times)

Ironman

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Virtus, Veneratio, Fidelitas
    • Yes
    • My Personal Site
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Ok guys i just finished a new triple monitor build which you can check out here:
http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,132781.msg857477.html#msg857477

Everything is working on my new build except that my ASUS Xonar Essence STX sound card produces no sound. I doubled checked my power connections and the card in fact powers on. I have also got the latest Win7 drivers for my card of the ASUS website. And my PC recognizes the card and everything. But when I plug my speakers in I get no sound. My speakers works perfectly on laptop so those aren't defective. I connect the speakers to the sound card via a gold line in adapter.  I doubt the adapter has any problem as its not electronic. I worried that the sound card's jack itself is defective and that I may just have to return the card. The only way I get sound is through my front panel audio input which is connected directly to my ASUS Sabertooth Z77 motherboard. The card just doesn't recognize that my speakers are plugged in as illustrated by the pic below:

I would appreciate any help and suggestions greatly!

DaveLembke

Sage
Re: ASUS Xonar Essence STX sound card produces no sound in new build
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 09:23:57 AM »
I have a same issue with my RealTek audio. My problem started when upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7. I got the latest drivers as well and still a problem. I ended up installing one of those startech USB audio adapters as my solution as for when switching back to my Windows XP drive I was able to prove it was an issue with my Realtek chipset/driver and Windows 7.

But on a NEW build I dont think you want a $10 solution and you want it to work properly. Is this audio adapter a new adapter which originally came with Windows 7 support, or did ASUS add support by making a modern driver for it. My Realtek was exactly the same working in the front only, BUT I also had NO microphone support as well and for gaming and needing Ventrillo voice communications I went for the $10 fix and stuck with Windows 7 and not buy a new sound card to install internally.

One thing you could check is if your motherboard has integrated audio and your front port is tapped into the integrated audio. IOpening the side panel and tracking the audio cable back you might find it plugged into the motherboard vs sound card. You might not be getting your audio from the card, but instead integrated. I know that with my USB sound adapter fix I had to go into preferences in audio properties and specifically select this USB audio device as the priomary device than the integrated that had insufficient Windows 7 support. I then was up and running with no audio problems thru this $10 fix. Is your sound card set up as the primary audio device instead of the integrated in the audio properties?

Ironman

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Yes
    • My Personal Site
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 09:08:40 PM »
The front port of my PC is already connected directly to my motherboard's integrated audio as I previously stated in my original post, that's the only way I'm getting audio. The ASUS sound card has port for my front panel audio connector but when I connect it to that I have the same problem. And the the adaptors are new, came with the card picture below:

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 10:11:35 PM »
Good evening Ironman and welcome back to CH

Well I just went thru your MoBo manual and there is no jumper so both front and rear ports can be used. Out of curiosity did you used the HD header or the AC97 header? and if so did you make the change in the BIOS to reflect which header you used.

If the above suggestion does not work or help you I would have to agree that the port for the speaker is bad. Also on the same rear ports does the MIC work & line in etc. It would be weird if just the speaker port would be bad and I am assuming you are using the green one right  ;D

Edit: it just dawned on me your sound issue is a PCI card (well that was a brain fart) so is the front panel port plugged into this card. This connection is Shared by Headphone out / 2 channels out / Microphone in so now do the mic and line going out working? just like I had put above because this is shared port.

By the way nice board I like it a LOT  :)

Hope this helps and even if this doesnt help and you find the answer please let us know. Good luck, Mike   
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 10:34:31 PM by hartbeatmr »
Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

Ironman

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Yes
    • My Personal Site
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 01:07:46 AM »
sigh, I figured it out guys. It was a simple issue, I just had to go to the ASUS Essence STX Audio Center installed on my computer and switch the settings from Headphone to Speakers. Now everything is working, I feel i like big idiot lol :-[ Thank you all for the help anyway! I still appreciate it!