Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Looking for some advice, issues with new computer, gift for a friend.  (Read 3446 times)

S.Davies

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    I recently purchased a gift for a friend, a refurbished Gateway SX2370-UR10P from Amazon (not rich, it was the best I could afford). I think I'm going to have to return it, but I just thought I'd confirm my fears before I really get into that (I have filed for a return).

Anyway, the computer was supplied with a keyboard and mouse, but not a monitor. That's okay, because she already had one. Anyway, this might be a monitor problem, but I doubt it... I'm just mentioning this because it might be pertinent information.

If we plug the (VGA) monitor in and try to boot it, we get a beep and a non-blinking cursor at the top-left of the screen. I'm not sure what this means for this computer. We've tried letting it boot and then plugging in the monitor, but the monitor goes into sleep mode. (No signal, I think?)

Now, I think it's the computer, because the BIOS post text isn't showing up.

The computer may not be VGA compatible, despite the VGA port (some are like that, I've seen it before), but even if that was the case then at least we'd actually get a bit of BIOS post text or something, wouldn't we?

If you have -any- ideas, we'd be more than happy to try them. I won't open the computer though because that would invalidate the warranty we have with it, and thus make my chances of returning it slim.

I really, really appreciate any help you can provide. As you can guess, I'm feeling fairly horrible right now, with this being a gift for a friend. But I'm also fairly sure this is a dud, I just need a confirmation.

---

Oh, the OS is Windows 7, by the way. I just didn't know whether that'd even be worth mentioning because we don't get that far.

---

Also wanted to note that we've tested another (VGA) monitor and got the same results with that one, too. And that both monitors work fine on her old computer.
    « Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 04:11:23 PM by S.Davies »

sarcasticphoenix

Rookie
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Familiar
      Re: Looking for some advice, issues with new computer, gift for a friend.
      « Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 08:21:45 PM »
      I do not know too much about monitor problems, but the last time my laptop's screen decided to not display anything, I unplugged it and removed the battery, and following another guide, I pressed and held the power button for about 45 seconds, and let the laptop sit there for about 30 more seconds. It solved the problem, and I was able to see everything on the screen again.
      I don't know if this will help at all, but it worked for me, maybe it will work on a different computer as well.
      -------------------------
      This is my signature!

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: Looking for some advice, issues with new computer, gift for a friend.
      « Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 11:10:23 PM »
      Good evening S.Davies and welcome to CH

I really don't think the post would help because he is talking about a laptop and S.Davies has a desktop
      I do not know too much about monitor problems, but the last time my laptop's screen decided to not display anything, I unplugged it and removed the battery, and following another guide, I pressed and held the power button for about 45 seconds, and let the laptop sit there for about 30 more seconds. It solved the problem, and I was able to see everything on the screen again.
      I don't know if this will help at all, but it worked for me, maybe it will work on a different computer as well.

But on to your question if at all you are getting a cursor in the top corner than the PC is not able to boot as it would normally. The other dead give away is not getting a gateway logo etc. I know you said that you don't want to open it because you would void your warranty. Most PC companies will not void your warranty because you want to upgrade say memory etc in the future but If you would open the PC up and make sure the hard drive cables are in place, the memory is seated etc. Then I would look in the BIOS and make sure it was set to boot to the hard drive 1st.

Well if you decide you would like some help please come back and let us know, Mike
      Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?