Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Having trouble reinstalling 98  (Read 31568 times)

ba_50

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Having trouble reinstalling 98
    « on: August 20, 2012, 10:28:00 AM »
    First thing I would like to mention is the CABS for the original 98 is under windows/options/cabs but there is no setup nor can I get into _74 which I think has something to do with the installation

My CD is the "e" drive but the Bios is "C". I went into setup but couldn't change the drive letter.

I have a borrowed W98 CD and it won't so anything except give an error message which I forgot to bring with me to the library.

I can't find the Win98 directory which might be able to set it up.

The suggestions so far from the  net have not worked. The CD came from an Emachine.

Is there something wrong with the copy?
    Thanks.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Having trouble reinstalling 98
    « Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 12:30:20 PM »

The CD came from an Emachine

Just a FYI, this CD was only intended to be used legally with the original computer that it came with. Lots of the CD's that came with builds like this will only install on certain hardware identification eMachines, and will fail to install on others as an anti-piracy feature.

What are you running for Hardware? CPU, Ram, HD Size? And do you need to stick with Windows 98 SE if your Hardware supports a more modern OS?

In regards to BIOS thinking your Optical Drive is C: if you set it up as SLAVE (S or SL) Jumper setting it should take D: and set your Hard Drive as MASTER (M or MA) and it should be C: . If you have a Cable Select Type Cable jumper settings remain at CS for both andyou just need to switch which drive is plugged into each port.

I have a feeling you are going to run into issues trying to use that eMachine 98 System Disc and might need to find a OEM 98 SE that is not keyed to only work on specific hardware. I ran into issues a while back when my Compaq's motherboard died and I tried to install Windows XP Home to the new motherboard, it wouldnt allow it, and I had to buy an OEM copy in which I upgraded to Windows XP Pro.

ba_50

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 02:37:04 PM »
      My old computer started out with W95, then the people who made it upgraded it to 98SE. Apparently they got away with selling computers without the software. It is has a  512 MB? or something,  but I can't recall the rest at the moment.

Anyhow, I haven't seen anything like you are talking about. My CD drive is "E" not D.

My Mother went out and bought an E machine several years ago and I cringed. I had two full pages of error messages on that worthless computer when I took it back and got a refund. It wouldn't suprise me if their Windows wouldn't work anyhow, legal or not.

This is the first I heard about the anti-piracy feature. So I guess I would be taking a chance buying used software on Ebay. I doubt if my computer has any restrictions on it. From what I understand, I should be able to use the CABS files to re-install but it won't run without that 32 exe file. Maybe that is the solution, but I was told trying to put it back on can be a problem too.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 04:29:18 PM »
        Before you consider spending ANY money on anything for that computer you really need to think about other options. Such as looking for a used or refurbished computer with a more recent O/S and newer technology. Unless there is a great amount of nostalgia or sentimentality associated with that computer it is way beyond any form of support and also will present problems for almost anything to work with it software and hardware. Certainly with a bit of research you can find win 98 software that will work but is it worth the effort? Personally i think not. truenorth

ba_50

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 02:40:28 PM »
          Before you consider spending ANY money on anything for that computer you really need to think about other options. Such as looking for a used or refurbished computer with a more recent O/S and newer technology. Unless there is a great amount of nostalgia or sentimentality associated with that computer it is way beyond any form of support and also will present problems for almost anything to work with it software and hardware. Certainly with a bit of research you can find win 98 software that will work but is it worth the effort? Personally i think not. truenorth

I agree, it's not worth spending much money on it. Somebody donated the reinstall disc but it didn't work. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, just corrupted. Good for word processing, instrument flying simulation, typing practice and such. I use the library computer now. Had 3-4 new ones and got tired of it getting corrupted on the net. .

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 03:48:36 PM »
            With respect if you have been having issues repeatedly with other computers becoming corrupted ( i read virus infected). Then it may be related to inadequate security protection and poor protection practices. Should you seek to procure another computer there are many credible members here that can advise you on very good programs and methods to minimize your past issues.truenorth

ba_50

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 09:43:45 AM »
              With respect if you have been having issues repeatedly with other computers becoming corrupted ( i read virus infected). Then it may be related to inadequate security protection and poor protection practices. Should you seek to procure another computer there are many credible members here that can advise you on very good programs and methods to minimize your past issues.truenorth

My neighbor, who  fixes computers and told me  Windows should be re-installed at least once  every 3 years . He does his once a year. So I don't think anyone is immune to it. Some of the anti-virus software like Norton and McAfee slows a computer down so much it might as well be a virus, in my opinion. I've used most of the free anti-virus programs, and Windows version too and they just keep coming back. 

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • BC-Programming.com
              « Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 10:24:39 AM »

First thing I would like to mention is the CABS for the original 98 is under windows/options/cabs but there is no setup nor can I get into _74 which I think has something to do with the installation
              The CAB files are stored on most machines for the purposes of installing drivers. Otherwise, installing many drivers would require you to insert the Windows CD. Instead, the CAB files get copied to the HD and the Add New Hardware Wizard knows to look there first, making hardware installations easier. There is no way to setup Windows itself from these CAB files.

My CD is the "e" drive but the Bios is "C".
              The BIOS never get's a drive letter, so I'm not really sure to what you are referring. I guess you could mean the system drive, but that's pretty normal.

I have a borrowed W98 CD and it won't so anything except give an error message which I forgot to bring with me to the library.
              Error Message is a pretty critical piece of info here. Anyway, if the CD doesn't have a /WIN98 folder it's not a retail windows disc but rather a OEM restore disk. I would guess the error message was a result of this.

My neighbor, who  fixes computers and told me  Windows should be re-installed at least once  every 3 years
              This is tosh. It's based on an old myth of "Windows Rot" Where a Windows install accreates problems over time. There is an ounce of truth in the pound of fallacy, in that as a result of installing and uninstalling software, programs crashing with certain files open,. This is particularly true when installing games, which- in a lot more cases than would be expected- install low-level drivers that essentially act as rootkits just to make sure you are running a legitimate copy of the game.

The fallacy, IMO, is  in the allegation that the only way to fix it is a complete reinstall. Proper maintenance over the course of using the machine does wonders. I have a Toshiba Satellite 440CDX from 1996 (with a windows install that was put on the HD in late 2000 (win98SE)) which still boots just as quickly as it did when new, and It got heavy use for nearly 7 years of that time. Of course, without that proper maintenance, eventually things just get worse as the people using the machine continue to install new programs, uninstall old ones, while continuing to simply dismiss those errors they get at startup, and by that point it's usually a lot easier to just go with a clean install. The Windows Install I am running now was Installed February 2010, and was an in-place upgrade of an Install of Vista made in June 2009. (And no, I don't have  these dates memorized, that would be sad- first I got from systeminfo and second I base on when I originally built the computer for which I made a Forum Thread.

Now, that said, I do see other peoples PCs and they definitely seem to have an advanced case of lack of maintenance- the user has been clicking through 5 error messages for the last year without even reading them, and without bothering to fix it because "things mostly work"; Starting word starts Windows Installer which says it's configuring the installer, which they cancel every time, it complains that Word will not work properly, and then Word Starts (so they don't bother trying to resolve the MSI problem); etc. It's mostly the accumulation of the small things that the user either is not equipped to fix skill or equipment wise or that they cannot be bothered to fix.

FWIW I'm not saying a fresh install is a bad idea (in fact, in this scenario it's probably quite the opposite) and that you should try to fix the problems that make you think it is "corrupted", whatever  those may be, but that this is not an intrinsic property of the OS but rather a case of accumulated bad maintenance; sort of like how two people can get the same car at the same time and one of them starts having problems with it; with few exceptions it can often be traced to the person having problems not taking proper care of their car. Whereas the first owner might have their torque converter replaced when it starts giving them problems, the... uhh.. "thrifty" user might decide that they can just not drive faster than ~50mph to prevent stalls; while the first owner might get their car looked at when it starts to say "Check Engine Soon" the thrifty user puts a piece of black tape on the dash and then complains that they had no warning of problems when their car starts to stall, ignoring the aforementioned light as well as the constant misfires by the engine since, which aren't a problem because they don't mind the noise. etc.

Come to think of it, as far as car ownership is concerned I probably fall in the latter category, myself...

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

ba_50

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 01:30:59 PM »
                BS Programmer,

Thanks for explaining what the CABS actually do.

Here is the error message when trying to run the install CD. I was going to try the repair only section first.

2012-08-07T09:30:25+05:00A
                A fatal error has been detected and the application must be terminated
                assert:assert(a;;icationname.length()
                >0") failed at domain (.\main.cppi 576)

Maybe you can tell me what it means.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 01:55:47 PM »
                  Details are important our esteemed member is BC-( not BS) Programmer.truenorth

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                    • Yes
                    • Yes
                    • BC-Programming.com
                  « Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 04:59:24 PM »
                  BS Programmer,

Thanks for explaining what the CABS actually do.

Here is the error message when trying to run the install CD. I was going to try the repair only section first.

2012-08-07T09:30:25+05:00A
                  A fatal error has been detected and the application must be terminated
                  assert:assert(a;;icationname.length()
                  >0") failed at domain (.\main.cppi 576)

Maybe you can tell me what it means.

It's a Recovery CD; Most recovery discs of that era, like those today, are tied to specific hardware, typically to a BIOS. Here it seems that it tries to get some information from the BIOS (perhaps reading a specific address); if the system has the right BIOS, it finds what it expects. Otherwise, it fails. Here, it seems that it got something entirely unexpected- a empty result- this results in an assertion that the given string length is larger than 0 failing and giving you that error.

har! Close enough :P

patio

• Genius
                  • Maud' Dib
                    • Yes
                  « Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 07:04:52 PM »

Instant Classic...

Well played TrueNorth...
                  " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

ba_50

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 08:35:33 AM »
                    That's why I tried to find a way to change the c to e drive which is my CD drive so it could read it.

ba_50

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 01:38:30 PM »
                      Here is some more information if it helps. 32MB with pentium MMX, 512MB ram.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                        • Yes
                        • Yes
                        • BC-Programming.com
                      « Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 01:59:57 PM »
                      Here is some more information if it helps. 32MB with pentium MMX, 512MB ram.

you can't have both 32MB and 512MB of RAM  :-\