Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: malware on hotmail or virus?  (Read 3905 times)

ZooGal

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    malware on hotmail or virus?
    « on: August 24, 2012, 07:53:38 AM »
    Couldn't find my exact problem on the list.  Everytime I open up hotmail my IM instantly sends me a message from [email protected] who was not one of my contacts nor did I add him.  I finally found the "new" contact hiding in one of my lists and deleted it but am pretty sure it happened when I logged into hotmail one day with a red bar on top of google (by accident) I have moms brain right now and it was so automatic I really didn't realize that I even did it until after I had already done it.  Please advice of what steps I need to do next.

ZooGal

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: malware on hotmail or virus?
    « Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 07:56:22 AM »
    Well, you can run full scans of your system with both your anti virus app and MalwareBytes, but at first blush it doesn't sound like it's something major.

ZooGal

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 08:04:01 PM »
      I have scanned it with both my antivirus as well as the MalwareBytes and both found nothing.  Should I scan with a spyware just to be safe?  If so which one?

ZooGal

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 08:17:04 PM »
      Good evening ZooGal and welcome back to CH

That is good news that MWB and your AV didn't find anything. How is the email issue when you open your browser things back to normal? If things are not acting normal 1 thing that I would do is go to Hotmail and change your password,  security questions etc. I also would delete all your temps from all browser(s).

If you think that you still may have a bug you can go to are malware / virus section http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/board,7.0.html SuperDave and the folks over there can help you out.

If you need any help on how to clean out the temp in your browsers just let us know what browsers & what versions and we would be happy to help you out.

Hope to hear from you soon, Mike   
      Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 04:08:50 AM »
      I have scanned it with both my antivirus as well as the MalwareBytes and both found nothing.  Should I scan with a spyware just to be safe?  If so which one?

ZooGal
      You already did scan it with an anti spyware app (MalwareBytes). As I said above, it doesn't sound like anything you need to worry about.