Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Periodically locked out of a friends Webpage  (Read 3192 times)

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Periodically locked out of a friends Webpage
« on: August 29, 2012, 04:01:59 AM »
I apologise in advance as this post is probably not going to make much sense, I'm none to savvy with networking and routers.

Anyway, the situation is that a friend of mine hosts a webpage from a computer of his. Now usually this works just fine but occasionally people (so not just myself) will not be able to connect with that webpage or anything else from that server. Everyone just receives a connection timed out error. I do not know if everyone is blocked together at once or if it is individual. What I do know is that if a connection has been established then it is fine until a new connection is needed.

E.g. If I was downloading something the download would complete without a problem, but if the lock out problem occurs, I would be unable to connect to the html page after the download completed.

His internet provider is Virgin Media and as such is using their super hub router.

So any suggestions as to what the problem might be would be greatly appreciated. We have been racking our brains but can't think of why this keeps happening.

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Periodically locked out of a friends Webpage
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 01:45:31 AM »
Good morning Accessless and welcome back to CH

Well I can only speculate but it sounds like the router is getting over loaded. Like to many IP connections coming in. The super hub is really just a home style router and nothing more :'( :'( and may not be able to handle the heavy loads at times.

Is his home internet connection is a fiber / cable / DSL?

Hope to hear from you soon, Mike
Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Periodically locked out of a friends Webpage
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 04:27:10 PM »
Good morning Accessless and welcome back to CH

Well I can only speculate but it sounds like the router is getting over loaded. Like to many IP connections coming in. The super hub is really just a home style router and nothing more :'( :'( and may not be able to handle the heavy loads at times.

Is his home internet connection is a fiber / cable / DSL?

Hope to hear from you soon, Mike

Speculation is good as no one has any idea why this keeps on happening. The webpage is only for a couple of friends and the router serves 4-5 computers locally, so might that cause over loading? (I know that it's not actually a 'super' hub, that's just it's name. I believe that netgear make them actually). I think that it should be fiber cable.

Thanks for the reply, if I you can think of any pertinent information that might help just say and I'll look into it.