Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Enterasys Networks chassis and Switches, New to this type gear.  (Read 3145 times)

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Knowlege will take you further than any guide
    • Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Hello to all. I recently have acquired two older, past support warranty, network switch chassis that i am completely new to.

These have 7 bays, with several 48 port, 24 port, and other modules in them.

My experience is in unmanaged switches, so this is completely new, and i know this will be a learning curve.

How would i set these up into working order?

Some basic information, written by humans would be appreciated, thanks. I did find a manual, however, it was over 600 pages.

Thanks again.
I consider myself a hacker. Not in the way of "I can break into your facebook" but in the way, I like to learn as much as I can, about anything i can. I don't just like having things fixed, I like to understand why it was broken and why a particular solution fixed it. It is just how I am, and how I will always be. As teachers have said before, you cant learn if you don't figure it out in your own mind.

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
Re: Enterasys Networks chassis and Switches, New to this type gear.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 01:23:34 AM »
Good evening zeroburn and welcome back to CH

I know that you already know this but:

A un-managed switch really is just like a hub that has no firmware / software / web portal in it so there is no configuration settings etc.

A Managed switch or smart switch do come in different levels of manageability / configuration. My self I have not set up Enterasys units but really for the most part I can't believe that these would be any different than a Cisco commercial class / Catalyst or maybe a Netgear etc.  Another nice thing about switches like what you got your hands on you can set up security rules, traffic control etc.

Sorry I am not able to give you any useful information maybe someone will pop in that has set one of these up. Looks like you are going to be doing a whole lot of reading  ;D ;D

Mike     
Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Knowlege will take you further than any guide
    • Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
Re: Enterasys Networks chassis and Switches, New to this type gear.
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 11:57:40 PM »
These network chassis type things are complete overkill for my applications. i picked them up for cheap, and frankly, i have no idea how to run them.

and, yeah, i suppose reading is now on my list of things to do.
I consider myself a hacker. Not in the way of "I can break into your facebook" but in the way, I like to learn as much as I can, about anything i can. I don't just like having things fixed, I like to understand why it was broken and why a particular solution fixed it. It is just how I am, and how I will always be. As teachers have said before, you cant learn if you don't figure it out in your own mind.