Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cannot Move/Delete Entries in Start Menu->All Programs  (Read 5360 times)

Michael

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Experience: Experienced
    Cannot Move/Delete Entries in Start Menu->All Programs
    « on: August 31, 2012, 11:21:16 PM »
    I'm running Win XP SP3.

Usually I will group the shortcuts in Start Menu->All Programs manually after I install new programs. I also do so when a program install an update version and create the folder and shortcuts in the default location.

However, recently (has been few week), whenever I try to move or delete the entries, I get a prompt that Access is denied, make sure disk is not full or write protected blah blah blah.....

It happens on all the entries, and it happens even if I quit the program from running in the background, and disable antivirus (AVG).

Same thing happens even if I boot in Safe Mode.

Any idea?

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Cannot Move/Delete Entries in Start Menu->All Programs
    « Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 02:08:39 AM »
    Good morning Michael and welcome to CH

This sounds like you have maybe 1 of 2 different things that may be the issue. You no longer have admin rights or you may have a bug even knowing you have AVG you may ant to run malwarebytes http://download.cnet.com/1770-20_4-0.html?query=malwarebytes&platformSelect=Windows&tag=srch%3Ba&searchtype=downloads&filterName=platform%3DWindows&filter=platform%3DWindows

When you boot into safe mode do you get a choice of logging in with the admin account or does it go directly into your normal log in name?

Hope to hear from you soon, Mike
    Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

Michael

Topic Starter

Adviser
      « Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 12:51:19 PM »
      Hi Mike, I've scanned with AVG & Malwarebytes & SUPERAntiSpyware, although they found some threats, but cleaning them does not solve the problem.

And now I have another issue. I just realize I cannot boot into Safe Mode under Win XP.

During boot up, the F8 option only available for the Win 7 and not the Win XP.

I tried to boot into Safe Mode under Win 7, log on as Admin, and try to modify the Start Menu->All Programs entries for the Win XP, and it's not allowed too.

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
      « Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 02:55:34 PM »
      Good evening Michael and welcome back to CH

I was not aware that you have a dual boot system (XP & W7). It is possible that the bug that was found may have affected the boot manager also.

Hopefully when you made a dual boot set up that you installed XP first then Windows 7 second? plus just in-case you don't know windows XP has 2 options for safe mode F5 and F8 but windows 7 only has F8 now on to your issue ;D

So you can't boot into XP either safe or normal?

What did MWB and SAS find?

When you start the PC do you get the boot loader option screen where you can pick XP or Windows 7?

Hope to hear from you soon, Mike   

Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      • Experience: Beginner

Michael

Topic Starter

Adviser
        « Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 10:01:06 PM »
        Hi Mike,

I didn't expect the issue (cannot modify entries) has direct relation to the dual boot, that's why I didn't mention.

Yes I installed XP first then W7.

I can boot into XP in Normal Mode, and Win 7 both Normal and Safe Mode.

At the boot loader option screen, when I highlight Win 7, it shows an option of F8 for Safe Mode, but if I highlight Win XP, it doesn't.

Attached are the logs of MWB and SAS.

Thanks.

[year+ old attachment deleted by admin]

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
        « Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 10:09:51 PM »
        Good evening Michael and welcome back to CH

You ended up with a couple of nasty Virus / Trojan. You may not be totally clean yet I would follow this.

Please follow the instructions in the following link and post your logs in the thread you create (NOT in this thread):
        http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html

Once you are clean than you may be OK, Mike

Michael

Topic Starter

Adviser
          « Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 11:30:39 PM »
          Hi Mike,

Unable to download the DDS.

The first link redirects to blank page.
          The second links redirects to the Spanish page, which after clicking the Download button, nothing happens.

EDIT: Never mind I've found the link through google.