Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Video Card Driver Question  (Read 7378 times)

02bin3

Video Card Driver Question
« on: September 02, 2012, 07:00:42 PM »
I am in the process of installing a new dual monitor video card and I am presently uninstalling the old card, however, it is giving me some choices that I do not quite know what to do. Remove all NVIDIA drivers including display OR Remove all NVIDIA drivers except display.
What is the best choice here? Thank you.

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Video Card Driver Question
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 08:03:29 PM »
Good evening 02bin3 and welcome back to CH

That is very hard to say because we do not know what your chipset is or if you have other hardware that depends on the nvidia drivers to function you could also have sata controllers  / NIC card etc.

If you do know know then just remove the display drivers if you can and then do what you have to. If you do not get the choice to do just the display drivers then remove them all but siting on this side it is hard to say.  ;D ;D

Is the new video card is it NVidia or is it ATI?

Please let us know how you make out, Mike 
Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

02bin3

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 08:29:20 PM »
Hi Mike,
    The new video card is PNY GeForce GT 430 2048MB PCIe.   I neglected to note that the choice that the computer wants to make is:  Remove all NVIDIA drivers except display.  Since it seems to know more than I do, do you think that this would be a safe choice to go with?  On the back of my computer there is a horizontal slot with the dual monitor card with a VGA & DVI connectors, however, a few inches above that are VGA & DVI connectors parallel to each other & positioned vertically, that seems to be an integral part of the motherboard.  The computer is an ASUS about 2.5 years old running Wndows 7 Pro 64 bit.
                      Thank you

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 08:58:52 PM »
Good evening 02bin3 and welcome back to CH

OK if I am understanding you correct the "however, a few inches above that are VGA & DVI connectors parallel to each other & positioned vertically, that seems to be an integral part of the motherboard" this sounds like the on-board video ports.

If your PC had only the on-board video and you are installing a PCIx card in for the first time once you install the add-on card the on-board video display will get disabled automatically. 

Hope this helps. But like I said I do not know if your chipset is also nvidia. What model Asus is it. Mike 
Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

02bin3

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 07:02:27 AM »
It is an Asus Essentio Desktop CG5270 (  http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=CG5270-BP004-PB-R  )  This link has all of the info regarding what it has.  As far as the video card is concerned, I am replacing the one that is there in the lower slots.  It is very noisy and the computer seems to run hot so I figured it was on its way out.  I looked up what the DVI that is part of the motherboard is, and it says that it is a DVI Dual Link.  Haven't a clue what that means.  On a second look I noticed that it was different than the DVI connector a few inches below it on the video card. 

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 10:45:10 AM »
You don't need to uninstall the old drivers, Windows will ignore them if the hardware is no longer there.