Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Would Appreciate Help  (Read 4193 times)

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Keep Canada beautiful. Swallow your beer cans.
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
Would Appreciate Help
« on: September 05, 2012, 07:53:32 PM »
Hi Folks. It's been a while ,but not by choice.

Anyway,I'm attempting to help an elderly lady(even older than me) with her network connection. She's now attempting to connect from wi-fi to DSL which is what I have. I've brought her PC to my place in order to get help for her.

Her PC Dell Inspiron 6000.(xp) Using her PC (wireless) it will not recognize my router. When connected wired I get a local connection only but no internet.

The ISP tech. that installed the DSL for her today gave up trying to get a connection. He recommended a new PC.

Although old, the PC appears to work fine. I'm not sure about any of this but..... In Device Manager (network adapters) my laptop that works fine shows; Intel (R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection and Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC

Hers show 1394 Net Adapter---   Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller -- Intel(R) PRO/ Wireless 2200BG Network Connection.

If none of this is relevant , where should I start or what should I be doing?  Thanks, overthehill

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Would Appreciate Help
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 11:09:50 PM »
Do you see any flags under device manager and what is the status on each adapter? What is the windows message when trying to connect either wired or wireless?
Download MiniToolBox and select all options.
A notepad will open then copy-paste the report on your next reply. Try using either wired or wireless connection before running the program.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 07:00:06 AM »
Go to Control Panel - Network Connections. Do you see your DSL connection listed there? If so, choose it.

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 08:53:48 AM »
Do you see any flags under device manager and what is the status on each adapter? What is the windows message when trying to connect either wired or wireless?
Download MiniToolBox and select all options.
A notepad will open then copy-paste the report on your next reply. Try using either wired or wireless connection before running the program.

Thks jason. No flags on any of the adapters.
When trying to connect wireless, the message received states Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action can not be completed. For assistance, contact the person who manages your network.
When wired, cannot access home page because connection is local only (no internet) - message; contact the person that manages your network.

Would you have me download the mini tool box to my PC then load it on the problem PC? Thanks, overthehill

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 08:55:53 AM »
Go to Control Panel - Network Connections. Do you see your DSL connection listed there? If so, choose it.

Allan the only connections shown are the ones that I mentioned above. My DSL connection is not listed. Thanks, overthehill

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 02:33:42 AM »
Would you have me download the mini tool box to my PC then load it on the problem PC?
Please do so.
it will not recognize my router
What do you mean by not recognizing? Do you have WPA/WPA2 encryption key set for the router and computers that can connect? This could also be the problem with the Dell Inspiron laptop.

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 04:21:37 PM »
Please do so. What do you mean by not recognizing? Do you have WPA/WPA2 encryption key set for the router and computers that can connect? This could also be the problem with the Dell Inspiron laptop.

Thks, jason. I was able to speak to another ISP. tech last evening. After several hours (and this fellow almost gave up too but didn't) he finally found the cure. I don't remember where he led me or what he had me do, but now her PC connects.  ;D

Thanks again, overthehill