Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Slow Netbook  (Read 7256 times)

FruitCakeZeke

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
    • Experience: Beginner
    Slow Netbook
    « on: September 13, 2012, 02:22:01 PM »
    For the past three weeks or so my netbook has decreased performance a good bit. Its really frustrating to wait longer for a single tab to open or a video to start playing. I was
    curious to ask if anyone here had any ideas on how to get my pc's speed up. My last resort will be to remove all data from my pc and start anew.

This is what I have already done so far:

• Cleaned computer [CCleaner]
    • Scanned for viruses [clean]
    • Removed tons of programs, files, etc
    • Using best performance settings

None of this has helped at all. I'm still having some troubles.

Some of my computer information:

Manufacturer- Gateway
    Model- LT40
    Processor- Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N2600 1.60 GHZ
    RAM- 1.00 GB
    OS- Windows 7 Starter

I'd also like to state it's relatively new. I got it at the end of April of this year and know it's a 2009 product.

I know lots of people recommend atleast 2 RAM, but it isn't something I can purchase at this day in age. Hopefully this is in the right spot.

Thanks for your help. Sorry if ths

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Slow Netbook
    « Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 02:30:26 PM »
    1) Neither ccleaner nor deleting programs will effect system performance (unless you are VERY low on disc space)

2) With what did you scan for viruses? If you did not use BOTH your av and Malware Bytes to do full scans, please do so now.

3) Both issues you mention (new tabs and videos) are browser / internet related. Is that the only problem - with your browser?

4) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

FruitCakeZeke

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
      « Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 03:19:05 PM »
      To scan for viruses I used this Microsoft Safety Scanner. I am currently running the Malware Bytes scanner and waiting for results. Can't find an "av scanner".

No, although I do normally have a crappy internet connection, it isn't my biggest lag problem. I have a hard time opening my control panel and doing such simple things. Starting the computer and getting set up can even take a mere thirty seconds.

The last time things were working properly the pc went very smoothly. I could easily handle four tabs, a program or two running in the background, and still work decently. Now the computer will freeze for seconds at a time trying to open a window or move through tabs.

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 03:28:33 PM »
      Do you have an anti virus application installed and always active? If not, I'm guessing your system is infected. Please follow the instructions in the following link and post your logs in the thread you create (NOT in this thread):
      http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html

FruitCakeZeke

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
        « Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 07:24:48 PM »
        If McAfee counts, then yes.

Either way, thanks a ton. Tomorrow I should be able to do the process.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
        « Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 08:11:13 PM »
        Its really frustrating to wait longer for a single tab to open or a video to start playing.
        It might be a connection speed or just a browser problem on you end. If your last post refers to McAfee installed, there has been lots of issues lately with McAfee, so might want to use their removal tool and use another free antivirus instead.

FruitCakeZeke

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
          « Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 02:53:59 PM »
          Hmm, haven't heard of anything, but it sure has been acting "finicky". Any recommendations? Thanks.

TheShadow

Hopeful

• Retiree in Florida
            • Yes
            • The Doctor
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          « Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 03:58:42 PM »
          You must do everything on a netbook ( I have the Acer Aspire ONE Netbook) that you would do on a big desktop computer, to minimize CPU and ram loading, shut down unneeded services, and perform all the tweaks to Windows and the registry, to optimize performance.

Even Windows XP needs two gigs of ram to really run right.  I don't know how W7 could ever run on 1 gig, without some very serious tweaking.
          On W7 I shut down almost 40 totally unneeded services.
          Open MSCONFIG>Startup  and uncheck every program that you don't absolutely HAVE to have running on boot up.

As for FREE AV (anti-virus software) have you never heard of AVG 2012 FREE?   McAfee has gotten a very bad rep in the past few years.  Likewise Norton.
          I have the McAfee removal tool on my utilities disk and it gets quite a work out, just like the Norton Removal Tool.

Good Luck,
           8)
          EDIT:  This is an add-on, because I wasn't sure I still had this information.

Shorten the Boot Time in XP, Vista & Windows 7

Go to the start button, choose run, then type msconfig and press Ok.
          On the system configuration window, choose Boot tab.

Check “No Gui Boot”, then lower the timeout to a more manageable time.
          I choose 3 seconds in stead of 30. (windows won’t accept a lower number than 3)

Next choose advanced options.
          This is where you can choose how many processors you have.
          Most modern PC's are duo core (2 processors) with some quad core (4 processors)
          then choose OK.  The Windows default is only 1 core.

Now choose apply and OK, reboot and you should see a marked decrease in boot time,
          And Run-Time efficiency.

Experience is truly the best teacher.
          Backup! Backup! Backup!  Ghost Rocks!

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
          « Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 11:02:51 PM »
          Remove McAfee and download Microsoft Security Essentials instead. Win 7 Starter with 1 Gb of RAM is just like opening one windows explorer and two browser windows at the same time is a limit speed it can take in my experience. It may also be you have a full cache and cookies that needed to be removed. Overheating could also be another factor.

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 08:55:06 PM »
          Good evening FruitCakeZeke

If your McAfee is the enterprise version (i.e like 8.5i etc) than there has been a lot of issues with the firewall and it working correctly with the AV suite. If you have that version uninstall the McAfee firewall that in it self will help the PC a bunch. But i have to agree McAfee is a system hog you are much better off with MSE or Avast etc. I also would increase the memory and go up to 2 gig's if the PC can take that much.

Hope this helps, Mike
          Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

Chuck racer

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
            « Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 09:33:02 AM »
            For the past three weeks or so my netbook has decreased performance a good bit. Its really frustrating to wait longer for a single tab to open or a video to start playing. I was
            curious to ask if anyone here had any ideas on how to get my pc's speed up. My last resort will be to remove all data from my pc and start anew.

This is what I have already done so far:

http://www.techsupportall.com/mcafee-uninstall-tool/
            • Cleaned computer [CCleaner]
            • Scanned for viruses [clean]
            • Removed tons of programs, files, etc
            • Using best performance settings
            None of this has helped at all. I'm still having some troubles.

Some of my computer information:

Manufacturer- Gateway
            Model- LT40
            Processor- Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N2600 1.60 GHZ
            RAM- 1.00 GB
            OS- Windows 7 Starter

I'd also like to state it's relatively new. I got it at the end of April of this year and know it's a 2009 product.

I know lots of people recommend atleast 2 RAM, but it isn't something I can purchase at this day in age. Hopefully this is in the right spot.

Thanks for your help. Sorry if ths
            I had a Gateway Starter then give it to my Brother. I checked it out very well what can be done to a Starter, I would suggest you upgrade your to 2 gigs, that's the most you can. I got Windows 8 with this new computer, it also had Mcaffee, always run antivirus and at least 1 malware tool. I run Malwarebytes. Get rid of Mcaffee it,s crap. Above is the link to uninstall all Mcaffee and there crap. I spend many hours on You Tube watching all the computer things. Watch out for the fakes, antivirus,s the most I see is Adobe Flash Player which is shown you tube also ( Britec ) demonstrates it, an internet tech. The best one go to You Tube search there ( messin with fake AVG 2011) watch this, it,s very good. Thanks, Chuck

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #11 on: October 05, 2014, 10:51:28 AM »
            He hasn't returned in over a Month...
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "