Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Task Scheduler is not working! Help pls!  (Read 5999 times)

10twenty

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Task Scheduler is not working! Help pls!
« on: September 18, 2012, 02:11:57 PM »
I use my computer to wake me up every morning for work, today I nearly overslept because my computer did not wake me.
I checked task scheduler to see what went wrong, and I was greeted with this error message looking into the task library.

The task library was completely blank and when I tried to create a new task it said this:

where are the tasks stored, and how would i restore them?

I checked task manager's services list, and couldn't find a task scheduler service at all. It wasn't running or not running, it just wasn't there. maybe i was looking for the wrong name? i looked for task scheduler.

I don't know what to do from here.

Pls help, thanks

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Task Scheduler is not working! Help pls!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 02:18:09 PM »
1) Go to START - RUN - services.msc
Look for the Task Scheduler service and make sure it's set to Automatic

2) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

3) Are there any other issues with the computer?

Aside from anything else, may I suggest you invest $3 in a cheap alarm clock? Computers do foul up sometimes.

10twenty

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 05:23:16 PM »
I'm not at my home computer right now, so I can't check services.msc, but i can answer the other two questions

last time it ran fine was Monday. all that I did between Monday and today was turn off / turn on. I normally just put it in sleep when not in use, yesterday i shut it down because I'm returning the UPS it's connected to for a different one. I haven't installed any programs, updates, new hardware etc between Monday and today.
Although last week (last Tuesday) something called Playbyrte installed itself on my computer and I think it's malware as it claims it provides games and takes over the web searches until i pay money... I did not install or give permission for that program to download, and Norton IS for some reason did not prevent it from being downloaded. Google says it's malware for sure. well it came with an uninstall so I removed it with the uninstaller then had Norton do a full system scan afterwards to make sure there's no viruses or malware left behind. I didn't restart the computer until yesterday.

There hasn't been any other issues with the computer related to this...
well there's always odd issues, that comes up and if you really want to know, here they are-
- really old files not touched for a long time goes missing- i was looking for my old counter strike and day of defeat screen shots archives that haven't been touched in years and they're missing. this problem comes up again and again when i look for stuff I haven't touched in years. I had them backed up to CD and DVD and strangely enough, they don't read either, although I test them every few months and it seems that after 5 years they just suddenly become corrupted?
- CCleaner and Defraggler just disappears from the system after a period of not being used, and when i need it I find it's not there anymore and I have to reinstall it.
and one that's just really super annoying is that boot options (the F8 menu) comes up every time on every start up automatically and I've asked alot of computer repair people can they say they have no idea.
- and vista OS boot hangs/freezes on the black screen between the loading bar and login/welcome screen if my keyboard is plugged in, I'd have to unplug the keyboard during the loading bar part and re plug after it shows me the welcome page. in windows it says my keyboard is not IBM compatible, which is impossible as its an IBM keyboard, made by IBM. maybe windows is just upset because there's no windows key. 
those are the only other issues and they have never been solved. they're probably just too weird. I don't think anyone has files that goes back nearly 10 years and they actually access them on occasion, or recall every install, download, uninstall they've ever done to their computer, or have a non-IBM compatible issue with an IBM keyboard.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 05:34:58 AM »
We can make sure malware isn't involved if you like. Please follow the instructions in the following link and post your logs in the thread you create (NOT in this thread):
http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html