Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sub-Domain to eliminate ports?  (Read 2908 times)

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Knowlege will take you further than any guide
    • Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Sub-Domain to eliminate ports?
« on: September 18, 2012, 02:45:06 PM »
I am setting up part of a company setup, and we are trying to offer game servers to customers.

Each game server runs on a different port, such as domain.net:35580 and the next one runs on domain.net:35589 and whatnot.

We also currently have our domain from GoDaddy.com and we are using their zone file editor and the DNS dashboard.

We want to make it so that when we rent out a game server, it could be connectible by using a subdomain, such as server1.domain.net. I know that this is easily done, but then to make it connect to the right server without the customer having to use a port number.

I know there is the SRV (Service) listings, but i am not sure how to use this quite yet, or if it even would work for my applications.

If this is not possible to do from the tools GoDaddy.com provides, I am willing to set up a DNS server on the network and learn whatever it takes to complete the task.

Another option would be to gain multiple public IP addresses, but i am not sure a tall how to make that work.

I am doing IT for a currently very small company and don't have too much training in these aspects. If you can provide me with some solutions, that would be great. Thanks
I consider myself a hacker. Not in the way of "I can break into your facebook" but in the way, I like to learn as much as I can, about anything i can. I don't just like having things fixed, I like to understand why it was broken and why a particular solution fixed it. It is just how I am, and how I will always be. As teachers have said before, you cant learn if you don't figure it out in your own mind.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
Re: Sub-Domain to eliminate ports?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 09:32:26 AM »
You'd be looking at one of the following solutions:
  • an application layer hardware firewall that can redirect incoming requests according to the HTTP host header
  • a reverse proxy (e.g. Squid, the famous open source proxy server, can operate in reverse proxy mode)
  • a web server (such as Apache) that can operate as proxy for virtual hosts
  • a load balancer such as HAProxy or Pound
  • a web application firewall (again which can reverse proxy) such as ModSecurity
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Knowlege will take you further than any guide
    • Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
Re: Sub-Domain to eliminate ports?
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 08:33:16 PM »
The Company BeastNode offers the default port for the game on every server they host.
http://www.beastnode.com/minecraft.html

I am looking for a solution to achieve the same results.

I already have sub-domains working in Apache, as my website has various sub domains already working, but that is simply in Apache. I want to direct a completely different type of traffic based on sub-domains.
I consider myself a hacker. Not in the way of "I can break into your facebook" but in the way, I like to learn as much as I can, about anything i can. I don't just like having things fixed, I like to understand why it was broken and why a particular solution fixed it. It is just how I am, and how I will always be. As teachers have said before, you cant learn if you don't figure it out in your own mind.