Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP  (Read 16561 times)

JohnK

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Windows XP
« on: September 30, 2005, 09:14:44 AM »
I have officially left the past. I upgraded my computer from Windows 98 SE to Windows XP Home Edition (SP1). I didn't even know it would run on a 200MHz Pentium Pro. It runs quite nicely (I have 144MB of RAM), but I am a little bit lacking in the hard drive department. It uses over half of my hard drive. I compressed it and I gained a little space, but you can't do much with 2.3GB. I have a question: can I assign my Tandberg TDC-4222 SCSI tape drive to a drive letter and use it like any removable media? If so, how do I do it? Also, can I make my computer any faster? Thanks.
                                                              -John

Computer_Commando

Re: Windows XP
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 11:35:20 AM »
I wouldn't have expected success on a PentiumPro 200.  That was the "hot ticket" for about 1 year, I am quite familiar with it using NT4.0 with 64MB/128MB.  You have proven (once again) that memory has a greater effect that raw cpu speed, 128MB seems to be the minimum for Win2k or WinXP.  Don't know about the SCSI tape drive, but if it shows up under Computer Management, assign it a drive letter.  Start looking for a little bigger hard drive, 4,6, or 8GB, your BIOS may not support anything larger.  Hard drive rotational speed seems to make the most noticeable difference.  Other than a faster hard drive and more memory, that's about it for a 10 year old computer.  BTW, I have many old computers, '486 laptop being the oldest, no desktops older than PII-333.

Windows XP Home Edition System Requirements

JohnK

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 03:03:24 PM »
It shows up in computer management, but how do I assign it a letter?

EDIT: P.S. I didn't expect it to run on a 200MHz processor either. It was more of an experiment than anything.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2005, 03:06:02 PM by John_K_Perkins_Jr »

Shashank J. Bhagwat

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 05:14:04 AM »
 :(
I have lost color of my Windows XP Taskbar & Start Menu. How I can I recover it?

Mac

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 05:17:24 AM »
Preferably by starting a new thread and giving us some more information as to what you think may have happened to cause this.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 05:31:09 AM »
... It runs quite nicely (I have 144MB of RAM), but I am a little bit lacking in the hard drive department. It uses over half of my hard drive. I compressed it and I gained a little space, but you can't do much with 2.3GB. ...

John:

This is unrelated to your question, but if your hard drive is less than 3 GB in size, it's not much good for using Windows XP.  You should *not* compress any operating system files (such as the Windows folder and its subfolders).  If you have converted the hard drive from FAT to NTFS, you may uncompress the drive and then compress individual folders, instead.  

You may want to install a second hard drive (even a used one as small as 4 GB) and install all your programs to that drive.  You may even want to move your My Documents folder and pagefile to the second hard drive.  You may even be able to buy several used SCSI hard drives really cheap and store everything but your operating system on those drives.  Just make sure to properly terminate the SCSI adaptor and the last device on the internal SCSI chain or you may damage them.  If you have both internal and external devices connected to the SCSI adapter, be sure to terminate the last device on the internal chain and the last device on the external chain to avoid damage to the devices.

Best regards,
Doc
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 05:40:16 AM by pcdoc4christ »

JohnK

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 02:06:44 PM »
I did a some thinking and here's what I came up with:

I've been using Windows XP for the past 5 days and it was great, but the amount of disk space it used and the way it slowed down my computer wasn't worth it. I decided to install Windows Millennium Edition. Now, before you say something mean about ME, it works fine on my computer and I have had NO trouble with it. I don't think it's as evil as everyone says it is. I'm happy with it, and that's all that matters, right? Maybe if I get a faster computer with a bigger hard drive, I would install XP on that computer, but for right now, ME is fine. Thanks.
           -John

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 03:26:27 PM »
    Shashank J. Bhagwat
    I have lost color of my Windows XP Taskbar & Start Menu. How I can I recover it?

POST HIJACKER ........ Banish to the Sin Bin

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

merlin_2

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 05:46:02 PM »
    Someone has awoken from the media hype of winxp.<: jkpj13 stick with winme ;)>>.....five years on of winxp...............i await the next media guff of vista<the credit card windows>.........hardware no good/software.....need to be patched............winxp patch is sp3.........transition period of winxp to vista.............watch this space...........blank.......
    « Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 05:46:21 PM by merlin_2 »

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2005, 06:11:15 PM »
    ...before you say something mean about ME...

John:

I won't say anything mean about YOU, just about Windows Mellennium!  :P

Actually, with your system, Windows Me is a better choice than Windows XP.

Best regards,
    Doc
    « Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 06:11:39 PM by pcdoc4christ »