Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Poll

Did i done something wrong?

You may only select up to 2 options.

Author Topic: Did i done something wrong??  (Read 14518 times)

Sujay

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Did i done something wrong??
    « on: September 06, 2012, 02:26:42 AM »
    Hello,

I want to know, is there any guidelines you people are follow when helping your guests.

Last night i came to your Help chat, with a question "what is the diffrence between kb, Kb, kB and KB (notice the capitilization) in a digital storage/transmission units." Beacuse i was little confused on this topic and i thought maybe there is someone expert who know the basics, I tried to find answer on net but it was all cofusing. But incharge of chatroom warned me that they dont help with school homework(and i dont know what school homework they are talking about), and when a guest tried to give me direction(just a direction not the answer, direction like search on google or on wiki), your representative kicked me from chat. after that i came back in that chat and i never asked any question again, but still they banned me and kicked me.

I want to know, is this the way you help your guests. If you are not interested in helping us why you running this website and if you really wanna run why dont you make it private. I mean what is the fun of running a website which is dedicated to helping others/guests, when you people are kicking them and banning them without any good reason.

Another thought came in my mind is, where is this rule written that you people are not going to help someone in his homework or clearing his concept?

here are your rules :
    Chat rules: English only, no profanity, no discrimination, no discussions on politics/religion, no spam or flooding the channel, no advertisement or other website URLs unless addressing another users question, and no assistance with hacking, cracking, creating viruses, illegal torrents, bypassing copyright laws.

There is no rule that says you people not help in homework or concepts clearing here, i think its time you revise/update your rules. and What is your warning system, i mean what type of warning system you people follow 1warning, 2warning 3warning or you decide when is the time to kick someone out and insult him and mentally harass him by kicking him without reasons.

these are the questions that i want answers for, and i am waiting for your reply.

Thanks

Sujay

Topic Starter

Re: Did i done something wrong??
      « Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 04:34:35 AM »
      topic closed, no reply needed.

i am leaving this community with a bad experience and a bad word of mouth.

thanks for everything, and have a wonderful time yoall..

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 10:39:18 AM »
         Just wanted to state in case anyone is new to CH and reads this post, that if someone has a Homework Problem, I as well as others here are willing to GUIDE you on your way through questions or problems one might have, BUT we will not give information by which the homework is being completed by us. If for example you submitted a C++ program that you wrote and you are lost trying to find out why the program is not compiling even though most compiler debuggers are good at pointing to the troubled location, you can list the code here and we would point out that you missed a ; or } or an INCLUDE etc

If for example the posted code looks like homework for C++ where an instructor is asking students to debug code examples, we will refuse them if we suspect the code to be homework as for you should be able to read the chapter and then know what to be looking for. I as well as others do not promote cheating. If you have serious troubles with homework you should turn to your instructor or classmates for hands on in person advice.

Also one last thing, which is an instructor or teacher will never give you work that is impossible to achieve the answer to. So if you are not finding the answer online, its probably because Google or another search engine is being given incorrect search criteria and 99% of the time the answer is in the books that go along with the class unless the teacher has you performing extensive research. Just changing the order of words in a search engines input can lead to different results.

I have been a member of Computer Hope for almost 6 years and this is a great place to get help and help others. Don't be upset if you post something that could be considered homework and the answer is sorry we cant do that because it looks like homework. If you state that it is homework and you are stumped on a problem you might get other examples related to your homework that show how to do something by example without us answering your homework problem directly! This points you on the way to success, but you will have to think and know how to achieve the correct answer in relation to the exact homework problem by which you need to solve or complete. Similar to what is 1+2 = and we say well 1+3 = 4 because 1 + ( 1 + 1 + 1 ) = 4, and now figure out 1+2 on your own as the best analogy to shown by example but not solving your homework directly!

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 12:44:18 PM »
      topic closed, no reply needed.

i am leaving this community with a bad experience and a bad word of mouth.

thanks for everything, and have a wonderful time yoall..

This is not the 1st time you have bad-mouthed Computer Hope...probably won't be the last...
      Chat and the Forums BTW are seperate but inter-related entities.

Keep in mind this is an all Volunteer Staff...and we obviously cannot please everyone to their personal likings.

Sorry you had what you deemed a bad experience and Best of Luck elsewhere.

patio.
      Moderator.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

harry 48

Egghead

• lay back , relax and chill out
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Dribbling Pensioner
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 12:56:56 PM »
      I believe i'm right in saying people on CH have never given help with homework problems  ;D

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 02:02:21 PM »
      I believe i'm right in saying people on CH have never given help with homework problems  ;D

Some do; I have seen lots of people dive right in, sometimes even after others have said "this is homework". The urge to show off knowledge and to post publicly can overcome caution and common sense (if any is present!), as we have seen plenty of times. Also, it seems that many people of school or college age just plain don't understand why plagiarism and copying are bad ideas, and they don't seem to understand why some people dislike being asked to do their homework.

To be charitable, there may be some students so clueless that they don't even know how to ask "How might I approach the task solving this assignment?", and those who fail to understand (or worse, understand but not care about) the purpose of homework,  that is, learning by doing.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 02:16:54 PM by Salmon Trout »

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 07:35:55 PM »
      I am a student as well, so I can speak from experience:

Homework is designed so that you remember what you've been taught, by expanding on the ideas and concepts that you've learned during the day, so that you can accomplish something similar, but not exactly like what you did at school.
      It's supposed to be difficult, but not IMPOSSIBLE to do, as long as you apply the knowledge you learned during the day.
      Where's MagicSpeed?
      Quote from: 'matt'
      He's playing a game called IRL. Great graphics, *censored* gameplay.

Vigaenson

Beginner

• Yes
      « Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 09:45:01 PM »
      Regarding the "homework help" problem I think many well-meaning people are not choosing the right path.
      If you are interested in knowing what are the fundamentals of this statement, just let me know and I will try to expand on this matter.