Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CORRUPTED HARD DISK  (Read 3325 times)

alecsillidan

Topic Starter

Beginner

CORRUPTED HARD DISK
    « on: September 25, 2012, 12:44:12 PM »
    Hello guys, today I installed Folder Guard on Windows 8 to password protect my folders.
    Things got strange since I was not able to open the Guard interface...now my windows is not booting (missing bootmgr) and the repair CD is not working to fix the boot sector.
    I have to mention that I'm using Truecrypt and was unable to decrypt it too.
    Is there any chance to recover the data from the hard disk?
    I'm getting "The disk in drive C is not formatted" when trying to open the C partition in Hiren's Boot CD.
    We never had to cheat 'cause we already won!

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: CORRUPTED HARD DISK
    « Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 01:11:35 PM »
    Thinking that if you have critical data on it the drive might need to be sent out to have data recovered from a data recovery house. I dont know of any utilities to correct Truecrypt encrypted corrupted drives.

ninjatex

Beginner

• Call The Ninja
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 10:34:53 PM »
    +1 for sending it to a data recovery place. I've never used FolderGuard but wouldn't trust it as it's not open source, an important requirement for encryption software.
    Senior Technician at Call The Ninja Computer Repair
    Serving Eugene, OR
    http://www.calltheninja.com

TechnoGeek

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 10:41:22 PM »
    Why do you need FolderGuard if you are already using TrueCrypt? I don't know how FolderGuard works but if it messes with the boot sector (like TrueCrypt's full-disk encryption does) then you may have had a conflict there. TrueCrypt (and possibly FolderGuard if it works in a similar fashion) makes the disk unreadable to any other software; you MUST use the tool for that encryption program, or one that's fully compatible, in order to open it.