Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Missing operating system  (Read 25339 times)

02bin3

Missing operating system
« on: September 27, 2012, 04:38:39 AM »
I have a brand new Lenovo IdeaCentre desktop that came with Windows 7 Home Premium.  I added a dual monitor video card & drivers and then did a clean install of Windows 7 Professional.  When I tried to get on the internet to do all the updates for Windows & Norton, it wouldn't connect and gave me the message that my Network Adapter was missing.  So, that problem was solved very nicely on the Driver Forum of CH, and I got the proper driver and connected to the internet.  At that time I didn't do the updates, but shut the computer down and booted it up the next morning and all I got was a black screen with the words: No Operating System   I shut it down, waited a minute & started it up again, and again it said:  No Operating System.  I shut it down again, waited a minute, and then it started like nothing was wrong?? I proceeded to the internet and did downloads for 2 hours (Hughesnet is SLOW) and during that time the Windows downloads and installations required multiple re-starts and it was fine.  It ran all day yesterday and I shut it down last night and when I went to start it this morning, I got the:  Missing operating system message.  I tried shutting it down and restarting several times and nothing.  Even tried the old Control/Alt/Delete and that brought up:  PNY G-Force GT430 PCie, Version 70.08 2.0, Copyright Nvidia, then it went to the LENOVO name and then back to:  Missing operating system
I tried booting it from the original Windows 7 Pro disk and it won't even recognize that the disk is in the drive.  I think I need some help,.......again.

JJ 3000

Egghead
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Missing operating system
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 05:22:06 AM »
Make sure the cables to your hard drive are firmly in place. Unplug them, plug them back in. Check the connection to the motherboard too.
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.
http://www.petfinder.com/

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 06:03:24 AM »
You need to go into the bios and change the boot order so the HD is the first device. Also, change the battery on the motherboard - it may be old or bad.

By the way, did you install ALL of the drivers after you reinstalled the OS (including the chipset driver)? When you get back into Windows, open device manager - are there any yellow or red symbols?

02bin3

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 07:39:23 AM »
Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to get past the "Missing Operating System" page.   And I wouldn't have a clue as to how to get into the bios and change the boot order if I could get past it.  It is a brand new computer so I doubt that the battery is old.  Yesterday was the first day I'd gotten any real use out of it and most of that was spent installing programs.  Thank you 

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 07:40:07 AM »
I'd return it under Warranty.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

02bin3

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 07:44:10 AM »
Since I changed the OS, and the problem is probably my fault, I don't know as they would cover it under the warranty?

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 08:50:37 AM »
Sorry, actually I misread your first post. Have you tried booting to the W7 DVD and running startup repair options.

02bin3

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 09:24:27 AM »
Yes, I did try that but it isn't even recognizing that there is a CD in the optical drive.  Nothing is showing on the black screen but the message about the Missing operating system.  It did change when I did Control/Alt/Delete and gave me a message at the top of the screen: PNY G-Force GT430 PCie, Version 70.08 2.0, Copyright Nvidia, then it went to the LENOVO name and then back to:  Missing operating system.I've tried hitting F8 rapidly when it does change to the PNY G-Force screen, but nothing seems to get it to boot to anything and there is no C prompt.  Thank you

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 09:37:49 AM »
Then you DO need to go into the bios and change the boot order so the CD/DVD drive is at the top of the list followed immediately by the Hard Drive. Reboot the system. As soon as it boot watch the screen for a message that says something like: "Press ??? To Enter Setup (or BIOS)". Then begin tapping that key until you get into the bios. With a Lenovo it may be the F1 key - though I'm not certain.

02bin3

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 10:35:13 AM »
It doesn't start as a normal start up.  When you press the start button it goes to the LENOVO name and then from there it goes directly to:  Missing operating system.  There are no other options.  Thank you,

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 11:04:12 AM »
As soon as the system starts begin tapping the F1 key. Let's see what happens.

02bin3

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 11:24:53 AM »
I tried the F1 for a couple of starts and it finally connected with a screen that says Lenovo BIOS Setup Utility on the top and it has tabs for:  Main, Devices, Advanced, Power, Security, Startup Exit.  Presently it is on the Main tab and below that it says: System Summary and under that it says System Time and Date.  There is a white window in the middle of the screen that is titled:  General Help.  My mouse cursor is not showing up at all on this screen.  This is a whole new territory for me, but I'm game if you are.  Couldn't get too much worse.  Thank you

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 12:05:17 PM »
The mouse doesn't work in bios. You maneuver with the arrow / cursor keys and the ENTER key. Look around and find the boot device order. Move the cd/dvd drive to the top of the order (followed by the hd). DO NOT MAKE ANY OTHER CHANGES IN THE BIOS. Save the changes and exit.

02bin3

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 12:23:58 PM »
Under the Startup tab I found the following:

Primary Boot Sequence

Quick Boot                            [Enabled]
Rapid Boot                            [Enabled]
Boot Up Num-Lock Status     [On]
Keyboardless Operation       [Enabled]

There doesn't seem to be an option for cd/dvd drive nor is there anything about the hard drive.

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 12:37:33 PM »
Keep looking around. You'll find it.

02bin3

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 01:26:23 PM »
I found the problem and you won't believe what it was.  I looked for info from Lenovo's online manual as to how to find the option for changing the boot sequence and that wasn't much help and as fate/luck would have it I noticed in the Google Search someone else had the same problem so I went to that link and read multiple suggestions until I came to one that really started ringing bells.  One person had attached a Passport USB device and after that the computer wouldn't boot up.  It was apparently trying to boot from the USB device.  In the same thread someone else suggested hitting ENTER when at the Startup tab in BIOS and sure enough the boot sequence popped up and there was my Lexar Flash Drive listed in the boot sequence.  I pressed Escape to get out of the BIOS, shut down, removed the Flash Drive and then crossed my fingers, hit the start button and I'm now looking at my desktop.  Thank you all, and especially Allan for sticking with this and pushing me in the right direction.  You all are just terrific!

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2012, 01:30:00 PM »
Glad you got it all sorted out.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2012, 01:50:32 PM »
You can still leave the USB drive connected & change the boot sequence while in the BIOS.  Enabling "Quick Boot" & "Rapid Boot" may bypass this option.

Betsystewart

• Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #18 on: June 01, 2015, 10:33:43 PM »
    i am having a problem with my computer ringing when i turn it on i have no usb devices plugged in to the computer and am using windows xp.  the boot offers come up, i hit f9 it rings for a bit more then the os starts up as normal.  This continues every time i turn on the computer except when i use the standby option for shutting down.  Any suggestions?