Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: downgrading Win7 to Vista w/restore disks?...  (Read 11305 times)

snoofy1

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
  • I believe that peace begins with yourself.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    downgrading Win7 to Vista w/restore disks?...
    « on: October 03, 2012, 10:41:35 AM »
    I upgraded to Windows 7, only to realize some of important software is incompatible.  So I wish to downgrade to Vista.  I have restore disks from the Vista installation.  Has anyone done this before?  Will this work with no problems?
    Any info. or thoughts on the subject is appreciated.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: downgrading Win7 to Vista w/restore disks?...
    « Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 11:12:05 AM »
    I cringe at Vista and avoid it like the plague... but if you must downgrade, If it were my computer, I'd install a removable drive bay which allows for 2 Hard drives to be installed into removable drive cradles and have 1 drive with Vista and the other with Windows 7. This gives you the best of both worlds for under $100 if picking up a $65 SATA drive and 2 x SATA Removable Hard Drive bays  @ $14 each + shipping and installing 1 of the 2 bays and installing existing Hard drive to 1 cradle and the new hard drive to the other to contain Vista.

2 x http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817999024

and 1 x http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148764

If you Downgrade, you will have to be wiping out all information and installing clean Vista from restore set. You will need to backup your important data. Licensing if you went with my suggestions of 2 drives is legal because only 1 instance of Vista or Vista/Win7 upgrade edition will be used at a time.

Only downgrade I have ever done was to get rid of Vista as soon as the computer was taken out of the box new and installing Windows XP Pro to it.  ;D

I use these removable drive configurations on my systems that are multipurpose. I can isolate projects by labelling the drives and pop one out and the other in and keep data seperate etc and run different environments quickly. Other alternative to this is using Virtual Machines, but for some projects its best to work with real physical machines than a virtual system within another physical system running concurrently.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: downgrading Win7 to Vista w/restore disks?...
    « Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 06:21:29 PM »
    The restore CD's will wipe all your existing data...if you're cool with that it will work...
    Remember to DLoad/find your Vista drivers and install them after the restore.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "