Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: System Restore question  (Read 5590 times)

shagger1

System Restore question
« on: September 24, 2012, 06:05:33 PM »
Hi
I have XP home and it was damaged my that fake antivirus thing a while back,
got rid of it and did a repair install-the problem is everytime I right click a file
to see the properties it adds those files to my system volume folder,not supposed
todo that,found a program that reinstalls system restore using the inf file but no
luck-still does it(I have it turned off)and use erunt to do backups-any help would
be nice-if I turn it on it does restore files but grows too large as those above
mentiond files keep going in-anyone else ever had this problem?I really dont want
to reformat as the backup program I use now works.

See patio I did not add any links! <grin?
Rod

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: System Restore question
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 05:59:49 AM »
I'm sorry, but I can't understand your post at all.

shagger1

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 05:27:07 PM »
Sorry Allan
If system restore is turned on any file on my computer I right click and choose "properties" puts its self into the current system restore point(located) in the system volume information folder at the root of the drive.I have permission to look into that folder to see what is there-I have done the reinstall system resore by using the inf file and reinstalling-no luck same problem.
Hope this helps-those above mentioned files should not do that(adding themself to the system volume folder)
Rod
To clarify-the files are copied to the current restore point not moved.This should only happen if the files are deleted.

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 05:37:30 AM »
Again, maybe it's me and if that's the case I apologize. But I still can't understand what it is you are asking. Please, try to use some punctuation - maybe that will help.

shagger1

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 04:39:59 PM »
No problem:
1-I turn on system restore

2-any file that I have on my computer(exe,zip,mp3 etc)When right clicked to see the properties of that file, is added to the current system restore point(located in the system volume folder)

3-it is not supposed to do that-only files that are deleted go into system restore point folder.

4- I have done a reinstall of system restore by using the inf file,reinstalls but no change.

Whew,I hope you can understand now-its not your fault,I get a little ahead os myself sometimes.
Rod

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 11:12:48 PM »
Please post any image showing a file and properties regarding the SIV folder being located. You mentioned of being infected and trying to alter or regained certain restore points from erunt? It would be much easier to clear all restore points and start a new one.

shagger1

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 12:06:20 AM »
Jason
I do not have system restore turned on as of the problem explained so I cant post any pics.

I am not using eruntgui to get any restore points I am using instead of system restore-it works fine.

I was infected at one point and got rid of the virus but it must have changed some registry settings -I did a repir install of XP and that did not help,If no solution is found I will stick with erunt as my computer is running fine(actually very fast) so there must be remnants of that virus somewhere but id does not affect anything else-probably the only solution is a reformat which I am not going to do.I have done many online scans and use many portable scanners so I am clean! Just a pain as I always used system restore without any problems,Oh well.....
Thanks  lot
Rod

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 06:05:24 AM »
You really should have mentioned the infection in your first post. Please follow the instructions in the following link and post your logs in the thread you create (NOT in this thread):
http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html

shagger1

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 06:53:47 PM »
Thanks Allan-did that before in another forum but thanks for the advice, will be buying a new computer soon so.... all those tests mentioned in that link you wanted me to read came out fine.There is a registry key messed up somewhere,I will live with it.

Thanks Again
Rod

johnha169

Intermediate

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 04:38:41 AM »
    Hey Shagger1, i think you can format your windows instead of buying a new one?

shagger1

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 04:47:31 PM »
    johnha
    thanks and I could but I am not as ny pc is old and I will save up to buy a new one but thanks for the reply!Last time I did that things got more messed up plus I would have to reinstall a
    lot of programs(lazy)
    Rod

johnha169

Intermediate

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 04:27:41 AM »
      lol, it's also the time I should replace mine

blindhelpfultech

Beginner
      • Nadia
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 09:34:23 PM »
      I am kind of lost, what information is it restoring and what actions are you taking in order for it to create reastore points. More detail maybe what you do to recreate the problem might be helpful, the folder should be creating restore points when you install drivers, install and uninstall programs and make system changes it should not just create them for the heck of it. Another thing that might be of help is explaining what you are doing when these problems happen. If someone can recreate the problom on a computer or a vm it might lead to a fix. instead of jumping the gun explain the steps taken to create the problem you have explained to us.

Allan sir I hope I am not over stepping my bounds, but I feel that if we get more details it might help everyone trying to help.
      Great learders know they don't know everything and that is OK to say they have no idea. Doing that they will allow them to not knowing is not a problem, it leaves you to be open minded to learn from others It is OK to ask for detail and learn from those that as we are are all new at something and have our skill set.