Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Added a SSD as primary, have problems and questions.  (Read 2389 times)

daveworm

Topic Starter

Rookie

Added a SSD as primary, have problems and questions.
    « on: October 05, 2012, 03:26:24 PM »
    I have a windows 7 computer with a previous version of windows 7 installed on my hard drive.

Now, Im not sure I went about this correctly, but here is what I did and where I am.

I unplugged my HDD, and plugged my SSD.
    I installed windows, and downloaded some drivers for different programs on the SSD.
    I plugged the HDD in again

I wanted to run the windows experience tool to see what it said about my computer, and as it turns out my graphics card is not being detected.  The fan is running on what seems to be full, but the card is unrecognized in device manager and is labeled as "standard VGA graphics adapter"

I understand a way to fix this is going through the BIOS, and I have looked but can not find where to change the settings necessary.

So my questions are : 1. How can I go about getting my graphics card detected and
    2. What do I do with my previous windows 7 install on the HDD.  I am fine with simply reformatting that drive and erasing everything.

Thank you for reading.

daveworm

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Added a SSD as primary, have problems and questions.
      « Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 06:09:37 PM »
      To solve this issue it turns out I just had to properly install drivers and reboot a few times.  Reformatting the other drive, but it is painfully slow (estimated 6 hours.. dont know why).