Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: hardware problems, always!  (Read 4269 times)

gmcfan

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    hardware problems, always!
    « on: July 13, 2004, 01:43:53 AM »
    Well, I had this other computer, it finally succomed to the bad clusters in both hard drives, and died, so pulled the one I am using now out of storage. I recently put another hard drive in it, so now it has two. I tried using my cdrom, and it doesnt work, so I go into system properties into the hardware listing. Both my primary IDE controller and the secondary have yellow exclamations next to them,  (Both controllers are duel fifo by the way)so I click on them, and here is what it says:

"This device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all of the drivers installed. (code 10). "

It says that on both the primary and secondary controllers. The cdrom is not present in the "my computer" window, or in the hardware list.

I then clicked on the  performance tag in the system properties box, and in a white box within it, it says:

"Compatability-mode paging reduces overall system performance"

and

"Drive C is using MS-DOS compatability mode file system."

I clicked on both and this is what I got:

"Compatibility mode paging reduces overall system performance.

Windows was unable to identify a real-mode driver or memory-resident program loaded in your Config.sys or Autoexec.bat file. You will see another message that lists the name of the driver or program causing the problem.
    Because Windows could not identify the driver or program, it has switched to MS-DOS compatibility mode to ensure the program will run. However, this decreases overall performance. To improve performance, remove the program or driver causing the problem, or contact its manufacturer for an upgraded version."

and

"Drive X is using an MS-DOS compatibility mode file system.

This problem often occurs on more than one drive. Usually it is caused by a driver listed in the Config.sys file that Windows does not recognize and that is related to the message Compatibility mode paging reduces overall system performance. If you see both messages, see the Help for the Compatibility mode paging reduces overall system performance message first.
    If you only see the message Drive X is using an MS-DOS compatibility mode file system on one drive, that drive is using an MS-DOS compatibility (real-mode) driver, which may reduce that drives performance. Contact your hardware manufacturer to see if an updated driver is available for your drive. If not, the drives performance may be less than optimal, but you can still use it."

What does all this mean?

I also unhooked my secondary hard drive, restarted, and both IDE controllers are still not working. I uninstalled the PCI Bus master IDE Controller, then restarted, windows detected the hard drives and installed the drivers, and I still get the same thing.

That's pretty much it, if anyone can help me, it would be appreciated. Here is some specs and stuff on the computer:

Desktop Model (not tower)
    IBM Personal Computer 350
    Intel Mother board  built in '97
    64 MB ram
    Built-in video card (2 MB)
    3 gig hard drive (C)
    1.28 gig hard drive (D)
    Generic CD ROM drive
    Pentium 200 MMX (upgraded to this)
    Windows 98 SE
    2 USB Ports
    Intel 82371SB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller

Also, there is this little card that is plugged in next to the CPU, it looks like a PCI slot, what is this?
    « Last Edit: July 13, 2004, 01:47:55 AM by gmcfan »

2k dummy

Re: hardware problems, always!
    « Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004, 09:24:41 AM »
    Check this. start/programs/accessories/system tools/system information. Click tools/system configuration utility. Click advanced. See if there is a check mark in the box that says force compatability mode for disk access (or similar). If there is, uncheck it. Click ok. If the apply button on the next screen is "lit" click it. Allow windows to reboot.

gmcfan

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
      « Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004, 01:42:18 PM »
      I looked into that, and it was already unchecked. What else can I do? This thing is really slow now, I assume because of the MS-DOS crap.

MalikTous

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2004, 08:01:12 PM »
      If the hard drives and CDROMs are being driven from a mainboard IDE connection, make sure that the mainboard IDE taps are active in BIOS and that they recognise the drives properly there (hard drive, hard drive, CDROM, CDRW...). If they continue to fail to work, use a Promise Enhanced IDE PCI card and deactivate the MB ATAPI/IDE adaptors. The Promise card includes a BIOS extension so you can run hard drives and CDROMS directly from it.

The little 'card' connected next to the processor is your L2 Cache Static Ram module.