Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problems with spammers on my forum.  (Read 7198 times)

A10 Tactical

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
    Problems with spammers on my forum.
    « on: October 05, 2012, 05:27:29 AM »
    Hey guys,

I have a phpbb forum version 3.0.10 I have been having an annoying problem with spam postings appearing on my forum.  I am not sure if it is some type of bot or actual people taking the time to do it.  Most of the time its a link with a little bit of text right before it for "fake gucci purses".  Other times its advertisements for some type of medication. The sign up names on my forum that post all of this crap are usually gibberish nonsense as well.

I immediately ban the i.p. and terminate the account but I was wondering if there was something else I can do to prevent this?

Thanks

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Problems with spammers on my forum.
    « Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 08:55:22 AM »
    There is a way to prevent bots, but to prevent humans is harder. Bots can be stopped by requiring e-mail verification before posting and using the "type the text shown in an image" anti-bot Captcha feature with the letters jumbled etc to block screen scrapers from OCR'ing it to bypass. Stopping a human is harder but most wont spend the time to make 100 different accts to spam with.

http://captcha.goyello.com/en

blindhelpfultech

Beginner
    • Nadia
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 03:22:30 PM »
    I understand the need for CAPTCHA's, but due to the fact that not everyone in this world can clearly make out the text in an image. I personally would use "logic questions". You do not have to be "blind" to use these. Although they are helpful for us as well, they in my view benefit people that have other eye problems. Some examples would be Stigmatism, Dyslexia, and Diabetic Retinopathy. The numbers for those with eyesight problems is clearly in the rise not just for the blind but the aging population is on the rise as well.
    Here is the link: http://textcaptcha.com/

Dyslexia is not an eye problem but it sure affects your text reading. In addition, in case you are wondering those sounds Meant for making the web accessible by hearing it does not work very well. As a few friends of mine have pointed out, I have been blind for 30 years and am still unable to get the whole audio. Pros and cons to each, but I am sure you know where I stand on this.   
    A person came up with the project of webvisum  an add on to Firefox that tries to fix this problem, but there are some images it is unable to ocr. http://www.webvisum.com/ Also, due to the fact that this is helpful for us, but could be a bad thing if someone like a spammer gets an account here.  This is a great project, but can be bad if someone gives the link to someone and they just do that for getting past things. My point is there are pro’s and con’s to both options, but it is up to the webmaster. One more thing, for those who are deaf the second option is a bit better if you are also blind and deaf like a few people I know and the big problem they don’t render on a braille display. Heck half the time sighted people can’t see them, but they are also needed until another improved option comes along.   

Great learders know they don't know everything and that is OK to say they have no idea. Doing that they will allow them to not knowing is not a problem, it leaves you to be open minded to learn from others It is OK to ask for detail and learn from those that as we are are all new at something and have our skill set.

Niantic

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 02:11:34 AM »
      Hi there.
      I have the same problem with the names making no sense on my forum and I having almost an unlimited amount of posts regarding medical stuff and a whole lot of russian posts as well.
      I am running with phpBB 3.0.11

I have captcha on and have e-mail confirmation on as well. I am uncertain if it is people or bots who is spamming, but as I have captcha on, my logic says that it's actually people who has way too much time on their hands.

Do you have any idea to how this can be reduced and possibly how I can hit the target group (people playing or want to play poker)?

Best regards,
      Niantic