Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Router keeps resetting itself  (Read 19359 times)

BC_Programmer

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Router keeps resetting itself
« on: October 08, 2012, 03:22:07 AM »
Having recently gotten reconnected to my own service, I opted to use the same Cable Modem and Router I was using previously with the same Provider. The Modem is a Motorola Surfboard SB5102, and the router is a D-Link DIR-655.

One problem I have had is that, infrequently (maybe every few hours) the router, by all indications, is resetting itself. At first I suspected the cable modem, but then I noticed that I also lost the ability to access the router (ping or http setup pages) when I lost the connection, additionally, I connected the cable modem directly to my PC and did not have any problems either.

I feel I've isolated the router as the cause of the problem. Note that this router, when I last used it a good year or more ago, worked perfectly fine in conjunction with the same Modem, and to my knowledge has not had any extensive bumps or bangs in the meantime. However, it was outside when I tried to sell it at a garage sale (which it thankfully never got sold at).

I figured that the router might be resetting because it is overheating. The router- like most- usually got fairly hot, but it was all I had to go on, so I took off the case and let it sit free of it's insulating cover. However it doesn't seem that has solved the problem.

My only other idea is to continue running with the idea that it is overheating and see if I can find my tube of Arctic Silver and try re-applying the two Passive heatsinks inside the device, but it might still be in the box of stuff I have in storage.

I do have a WBR-1310 to use as a backup, but I'd much rather use the DIR-655 if I can. Additionally I wasn't able to get any wired connections to work through the WBR-1310, so that will probably just be switching out one set of problems for another.

Anybody else have any other ideas?
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

BC_Programmer

Topic Starter

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
Re: Router keeps resetting itself
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 04:18:53 AM »
Additional: I took the problem router apart completely. It appears to have some mild corrosion on the other side, which I attempted to swab off with some Nail Polish Remover. Not really sure if that was the best material to use, but I have nothing to lose, as it works now the router is a gigantic pain. In the meantime I'm using the WBR-1310, and I managed to get the wired connection working, Though I imagine the little fella has seen better days.

I'll give the DIR-655 another go after a day or so of air-drying, and hopefully in the meantime this one doesn't give me any problems, since it looks like it's my new go-to router, which should work fine, but would be a shame to have to junk the more expensive one.

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 07:14:07 AM »
Odd that corrosion would happen like that. There are some corrosive fluxes out there, but I haven't seen them used in years. A toothbrush you don't plan on using ever again and rubbing alcohol usually does the trick to remove corrosion as well as flux on PCBs. You can bathe the board in rubbing alcohol and it wont hurt it in a non powered state. Just air it out dry and it should do it if the corrosion was the cause.

Also to mention that I had a client once with an issue similar and it was that they had dips in their power, and the dips caused resets on some hardware while leaving other hardware ( not as sensitive ) alone. Solution was to power all their hardware thru a UPS which kicks in fast enough to cancel out the dip by use of its battery. Now everything is running fine and they just hear some clicks from the UPS throughout the day when its keeping their power as a constant doing its job.

BC_Programmer

Topic Starter

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 09:07:21 AM »
Odd that corrosion would happen like that. There are some corrosive fluxes out there, but I haven't seen them used in years. A toothbrush you don't plan on using ever again and rubbing alcohol usually does the trick to remove corrosion as well as flux on PCBs. You can bathe the board in rubbing alcohol and it wont hurt it in a non powered state. Just air it out dry and it should do it if the corrosion was the cause.

The most evident corrosion, or at least some odd unnatural colouring, appears on these copper-coloured "pads" that are near each corner. That and a few other spots here and there, I cleaned up a bit.

I think the big issue was that I tried to sell it at friend who was having a garage sale, so I gave it to them along with some other stuff. When I went there a few day's later I found it covered in pine needles and sitting out in the open, so I decided I would NOT leave it there or sell it since they obviously have no idea how to care for electronics. (That and the fact that they tried to give it away for free while I was there, along with some of my other stuff).

Also to mention that I had a client once with an issue similar and it was that they had dips in their power, and the dips caused resets on some hardware while leaving other hardware ( not as sensitive ) alone. Solution was to power all their hardware thru a UPS which kicks in fast enough to cancel out the dip by use of its battery. Now everything is running fine and they just hear some clicks from the UPS throughout the day when its keeping their power as a constant doing its job.

This might have some truth, though not where I am now. For a while I was at a place with terrible wiring- my surge protector's "Building Wiring Fault" was on the entire  time. I had the router plugged directly into the wall there, so it may be possible that incorrect voltages might have had a negative effect in it's innards. (or, on the AC adapter). Following that logic I might try to find another AC adapter that is compatible and see if that helps.

I'm not eliminating the possibility that the electrical here is uneven or otherwise unstable, though, I just don't have a way to test that. Also, this other router hasn't had an issue.

I think it's either the fact that it was left outside, being connected to a faulty mains, or some combination of the two that have made it a tricky customer. I'll probably try to power up the DIR-655 this afternoon and see if it works better.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 12:10:22 PM »
I've got the SB-5120 & DIR-632 (w/ DD-WRT firmware).
Nail polish remover is acetone which will dissolve most plastics.
Your description sounds like water damage.

I was first thinking you could try reflashing the DIR-655 with DD-WRT, but the Ubicom chipset is incompatible.  Many D-Link models are known to be troublesome, I'm on my 3rd DIR-632 (now out of 1 year warranty).  The SharePort software was awful.  With DD-WRT, the USB port is controlled/activated via the router firmware.  I use it as a NAS device with a USB drive attached.  The factory firmware would just turn off the WiFi transceiver at random times.

I don't know much about the DIR-655, other than D-Link firmware is pretty bad on many models.  Wouldn't be surprised if the resetting was not uncommon for this model.

FYI Info:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/D-Link_DIR-632
http://www.dlink.com/us/en/home-solutions/connect/routers/dir-632-wireless-n-8-port-router
http://www.dlink.com/us/en/home-solutions/connect/routers/dir-655-wireless-n-gigabit-router

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 03:25:38 PM »
I think the big issue was that I tried to sell it at friend who was having a garage sale, so I gave it to them along with some other stuff. When I went there a few day's later I found it covered in pine needles and sitting out in the open, so I decided I would NOT leave it there or sell it since they obviously have no idea how to care for electronics. (That and the fact that they tried to give it away for free while I was there, along with some of my other stuff).

OUCH  :o

Hope it comes out of it for you and behaves. I lost a bunch of older computer hardware when i decided to store it out in my shed. Thought just being out of the weather as good enough, but when i inspected the box of cards, boards, drives,... etc, I saw that there were white and green fuzzy crystals growing off the surface of the lead & copper etc. Learned my lesson to keep it indoors away from humidity.  :'(

TechTug

• Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 11:31:11 AM »
    Hello: I have a D-Link 615 T1 Flashed with the latest DD-WRT software as of July 2014 ( I believe the latest is 2013 version).  I was having this happening constantly. The router was rebooting at least every hour....   I purchased a low end APC  UPS   $89.95   and the issues has not re occurred as of yet.  Dirty power it seems ....   am hopeful the issue is resolved.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    « Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 04:44:20 PM »
    Hi

Are you sure that you have the dlink power pack, not one from another piece of equipment. Also those plug packs were a problem from some models  so the plug pack maybe failing.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

BC_Programmer

Topic Starter

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 04:45:54 PM »
    I haven't been using that router for well over a year and a half now.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    « Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 06:04:06 PM »
    Sorry due to TechTug posting  a reply it showed up as an unread post. I failed to notice the 2012 year from the original post. Wonder why after all this time someone hasn't closed it.
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan