Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Format write-protected USB drive  (Read 5915 times)

Frejoh466

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Format write-protected USB drive
« on: October 08, 2012, 12:53:24 PM »
I'm trying to format my USB drive, but every time I try I get the error "This media is write protected" I tried some programs but they all try to "just" format the USB and gives me the same error. I have created and set the StorageDevicePolicies in registry to 0, and tried to delete it with Unlocker. The USB have two partitions, one that acts like a normal USB, and the second that is write-protected and  have auto start with some .html files in it. And it's the second partition that I want to remove, I don't care if I have to remove everything from the USB.
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Format write-protected USB drive
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 03:09:30 PM »
have auto start with some .html files in it

Seen this before on promotional drives given out at events. Are you trying to wipe one of these drives clean to use as a personal thumb drive? If so i haven't found a means yet to wipe them to use them as free bee pen drives. I have heard "rumor" that companies that have these mass produced use either a single write flash chip or laser cut an open into the trace for "writing" making them read only.

Frejoh466

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 09:24:33 PM »
Seen this before on promotional drives given out at events. Are you trying to wipe one of these drives clean to use as a personal thumb drive? If so i haven't found a means yet to wipe them to use them as free bee pen drives. I have heard "rumor" that companies that have these mass produced use either a single write flash chip or laser cut an open into the trace for "writing" making them read only.

Yea, I got it from school and it's quite annoying because it's auto run every time. But I guess it's nothing I can do then. Thanks anyway.
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 12:53:29 AM »
As Dave states, most Memory Chips used in flash drives have a facility for write protection. Mot flash drives nowadays usually just leave this circuit closed, allowing writes. Back when they were fresh and new, though, Flash drives had a write-protect switch controlling that trace.

The existence of said switch notwithstanding, though, you don't have many options outside attempting to complete that trace yourself somehow.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.