Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: BSOD yay funnn  (Read 2709 times)

frommetononame

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Experience: Beginner
    BSOD yay funnn
    « on: October 05, 2012, 08:34:29 PM »
    My father sold our neighbor one of our older laptops about 2 months ago and now he complains that the internet is not working. My father hands it to me and says fix it...

Anyways I turn it on to find that internet is the least of their problems. I am first greeted with a window stating that there are important updates by pc optimizer pro. and less than 30 seconds later BSOD hits.

I would like to get them up and running if there is a way I might be able to, but I am not entirely sure how to tackle it.

The laptop in question is a Vista Sp1 that wont update to Sp2. So it has pre existing dilemmas.
    Thanks so much for the help if you can provide it.

ninjatex

Beginner

• Call The Ninja
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: BSOD yay funnn
    « Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 08:42:12 PM »
    Sounds like somebody installed some crapware. If you can boot into safe mode, download, install, and scan with malwarebytes anti-malware and your anti-virus of choice. If removing everything they find doesn't work, I'd suggest re-installing Windows as it will take less time than actually finding the source of the problem.
    Senior Technician at Call The Ninja Computer Repair
    Serving Eugene, OR
    http://www.calltheninja.com

frommetononame

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 09:17:16 PM »
      Funny thing is I told them that I suspected crapware (in the least offensive way possible) and the guy tried to tell me its just for his kids homework so it couldn't possibly be that...

Anyways I let him know that the options I knew about were, wait until I hear something back online, or a clean install. So he wants to try a clean install. -.- Anyways thanks for the reply.

Also, a bit off topic but, is there anywhere I can learn how to use malwarebytes. I would like to be a little bit more self sufficient when dealing with this sort of problem.

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 04:50:32 AM »
      Download BlueScreenView:
      http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
      unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
      when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
      Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
      Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 06:25:21 AM »
      I would wipe the drive and use the original Laptop Recovery CD to re-install.

Nice thing is is that it contains all neccessary drivers.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

ninjatex

Beginner

• Call The Ninja
      « Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 08:43:47 PM »
      Malwarebytes is pretty straight-forward, you just delete everything it suggests! I've never come across a false positive with mbam.
      Senior Technician at Call The Ninja Computer Repair
      Serving Eugene, OR
      http://www.calltheninja.com