Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem with Parallels on my Mac  (Read 8109 times)

Connor

Problem with Parallels on my Mac
« on: August 16, 2010, 10:37:20 AM »
Hello! I use a Mac, with a direct internet connection. Right now, I'm running Parallels in order to run Windows 7. I have it all running, but i can't seem to get my internet working on the windows part. When i used network repair it gave me this message: Windows did not detect a properly installed network adapter. If you have a network adapter, you will need to re-install the driver. I would really like the internet to start working!

Thanks!
Connor

Edit- It also is saying no Network connections are available, even though i have a router directly connected, and am able to access the internet on the mac part.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 10:58:19 AM by Connor »

socrates

Apprentice

• I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Problem with Parallels on my Mac
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 09:21:11 AM »
Connor,

If you go into the parallels Virtual machine settings for windows 7 you can specify how you want the network connection to work.

The easiest way to get it working would be to set it up to share your mac's network connection with the parallels VM.

Let me know if you need me to give a better step by step process to doing this.

sammy22

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 07:03:09 AM »
I tried running Parallels on my MacBook Pro and I felt that it slowed down my machine. Has anyone else experienced this at all? I ended up getting a PC to run the few software programs that I do have and kept it separate.

SimonV75

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 10:33:39 PM »
I am having problems ejecting discs from my mac while Parallels is running. When I close Parallels the disc will eject. Does anyone know of a way to fix this as I use discs frequently and it is an inconvenience?

socrates

Apprentice

• Yes
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 07:14:00 PM »
I tried running Parallels on my MacBook Pro and I felt that it slowed down my machine. Has anyone else experienced this at all? I ended up getting a PC to run the few software programs that I do have and kept it separate.

It will definitely slow down your machine, as you're running an OS on top of another OS.  That being said, you can adjust the amount of system resources you give to the VM.  If you're running Windows 7, you're actually probably fine giving it just 1GB of ram and 1 processor (unless you plan on doing some intense work in the VM). 

socrates

Apprentice

• Yes
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 07:15:09 PM »
I am having problems ejecting discs from my mac while Parallels is running. When I close Parallels the disc will eject. Does anyone know of a way to fix this as I use discs frequently and it is an inconvenience?

Yes, all you have to do is go to the parallels menu and choose to eject the disc.

The problem is that you have parallels setup to take control of the disc drive when your VM is in use.  Simply unmount the disc via the parallels menu and it will be controlled by your mac.  If you prefer, go into your VM's preferences, and choose not to use your optical/disc drive for your VM and you'll never have to worry about it again.

CarenTech

• Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 02:34:33 AM »
    As you have discussed in your post "Windows did not detect a properly installed network adapter" , I think you have to install some driver on windows which can establish communication between network and windows OS, talk with windows guys.   ::)