Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is it my pc, or Windows 7? Wont read media, but will read music cds  (Read 5216 times)

runninbare

Topic Starter

Rookie

• still able to beachbum
    • Experience: Beginner
    The computer whirs & loads media cds, nothing happens, the device manager is listed as
    lite-on DVDRW SHW-16358.
    This is a newer Gateway pc I transferred data to, from my old one. From XP to 7.
    runnningbare

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: Is it my pc, or Windows 7? Wont read media, but will read music cds
    « Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 09:15:22 AM »
    How old is the Optical drive ? ?
    They fail...and they dont build them like they used to.

This is a newer Gateway pc I transferred data to, from my old one. From XP to 7.

Also the above is unclear...are you saying you installed Win7 to this Gateway ? ?
    If so did you remember to DLoad and install the Win7 drivers for the PC ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

runninbare

Topic Starter

Rookie

• still able to beachbum
      « Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 09:30:40 AM »
      Windows 7 came with it, the optical drive is as old as the pc, 05
      runnningbare

runninbare

Topic Starter

Rookie

• still able to beachbum
        « Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 09:46:05 AM »
        Also, that is the only driver listed in device manager, should it have one that says CD on it?
        runnningbare

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 04:48:13 PM »
        Optical drives havent needed drivers in a looong time...
        Sounds like it's dead...replace it.

To test if you are unsure swap it into another PC...

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 07:26:22 AM »
          Would you please clearly define what you mean by "media cds"? Give us some examples. When you refer to "music cds" what do you mean   IE: are these commercial audio discs or are they something you or another person made via a computer. What is the media player you are using IE: windows media player/VLC/etc.? Do these discs (the ones that won't play) function on any other computer? truenorth

runninbare

Topic Starter

Rookie

• still able to beachbum
            « Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 07:56:14 AM »
            Media refers to cds you may have used, for example, one that came with your printer to load & install, a program, for example System Mechanic, or restore disc that came with the computer, anything that is for reading, & not music is referred to as media.
            Windows Media Player could possibly be the problem, as all of the info was just transferred from an older Gateway to this newer one, & they have not gotten all of the bugs out of 7 yet, as I see many roadblocks with other people that have aquired 7.
            This will play both commercial & homemade music cds, will not load media.
            The older pc accepted both.
            runnningbare

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 10:43:48 AM »
              Then in my opinion your issue is software related as opposed to hardware. Something related to your windows 7 operating system and a compatibility issue with the media software being used. Given that you have installed a version of windows on this computer (win7) that is not original to it you might want to read the accompanying article below.
              http://pcsupport.about.com/od/driverssupport/tp/windows-7-drivers.htm
              truenorth

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 12:10:14 PM »
              Media refers to cds you may have used, for example, one that came with your printer to load & install, a program, for example System Mechanic, or restore disc that came with the computer, anything that is for reading, & not music is referred to as media.
              Windows Media Player could possibly be the problem, as all of the info was just transferred from an older Gateway to this newer one, & they have not gotten all of the bugs out of 7 yet, as I see many roadblocks with other people that have aquired 7.
              This will play both commercial & homemade music cds, will not load media.
              The older pc accepted both.

I'm confused now...are you answereing your own question ? ?...or are you stating WMP and Win7 are the issue ? ?
              Please clarify...