Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: System Information wont show Uptime  (Read 12301 times)

shagger1

System Information wont show Uptime
« on: September 30, 2012, 07:36:00 PM »
Hi
I have an HP pavillion with windows ME and the system info wont show the uptime,trying to find out how many hours it has been used total,any ideas?

Thanks
Rod

ninjatex

Beginner

• Call The Ninja
  • Experience: Guru
Re: System Information wont show Uptime
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 10:04:06 PM »
You're lucky it even runs. Windows ME is no longer supported by Microsoft so you won't be getting any security updates.
Senior Technician at Call The Ninja Computer Repair
Serving Eugene, OR
http://www.calltheninja.com

comda

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 07:54:50 AM »
Shagger1,
Ninjatex is correct. Microsoft has dropped all support for windows ME however, i wouldn't even bother trying to fix it due to the the fact that windows ME had many issues.. that where unresolved.. try either upgrading it to Windows XP if the specs are good enough.. if not.. Windows 2000 was a great alternative. I still use it under an OLD IBM 300GL personal computer running at 500Mhz pentium 3 with 384 megs of ram and a 10GB drive. The magic of windows 2000 is the fact that the kernal is taken from windows NT yet its still has the same compatibility that windows XP had. Good luck. 

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 08:35:40 AM »
Hi
I have an HP pavillion with windows ME and the system info wont show the uptime,trying to find out how many hours it has been used total,any ideas?

Thanks
Rod

No version of windows shows the total time a PC was used.

In fact, I don't believe any OS keeps this information. Windows NT (NT4, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, and 8) will show the uptime (that is, amount of time since last boot) in Task Manager. Windows 9x (95,98, and ME) have this information, too. You need to use the System Information tool to see it (Start->Programs->System Tools->System Information. uptime should appear on the right-hand side.

I apologize for actually trying to answer your question instead of complaining about the OS you use.  ::)
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

TechnoGeek

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 02:01:06 PM »
You can see uptime with tools that calculate it based on the events windows logs on power on and off.
For example, I use this one (free edition limited to last 3 weeks): http://www.neuber.com/free/pctime/index.html

EDIT: I forgot to mention that TOTAL uptime and last and first shutdown and startup times are recorded somewhere by windows, at least on 2000 or newer. Don't remember what tool accessed that though (probably something like speccy)