Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS SSH Authentication Problem  (Read 6733 times)

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Knowlege will take you further than any guide
    • Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Ubuntu 12.04 LTS SSH Authentication Problem
« on: October 07, 2012, 11:52:59 PM »
Okay, so in my network, we have a webserver.

Today, I wanted to get on and refresh the content on a few pages.

Well, all is fine and good untill i try to "Connect to Server" from my Ubuntu 11.10 Desktop distro's file manager.

The popup appears

Server Details
     Server: 192.168.1.110
     Port: 22
     Type: SSH
etc etc

Either way, i type my credentials, but then i get an error, either "Please verify your user details" or "Access Denied"

These are the correct credentials, because i am able to use them to log in to the actual machine after restarts, etc.

But through ssh, my credentials seem to be false

is there a command i need to use to change the SSH password for the user, or is there a glitch on not retrieving the password from the shadow file?

Speedy help would be appreciated, as this is a problem with a server that is public and live.

Thanks.
I consider myself a hacker. Not in the way of "I can break into your facebook" but in the way, I like to learn as much as I can, about anything i can. I don't just like having things fixed, I like to understand why it was broken and why a particular solution fixed it. It is just how I am, and how I will always be. As teachers have said before, you cant learn if you don't figure it out in your own mind.

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
Re: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS SSH Authentication Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 11:57:48 PM »
Also, more information

The server also does not let any other users on through ssh, but will let them on the physical machine.

Effected accounts such as
root
administrator
webserver1

etc
I consider myself a hacker. Not in the way of "I can break into your facebook" but in the way, I like to learn as much as I can, about anything i can. I don't just like having things fixed, I like to understand why it was broken and why a particular solution fixed it. It is just how I am, and how I will always be. As teachers have said before, you cant learn if you don't figure it out in your own mind.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 08:50:05 AM »
Sounds like your ssh installation is borked.  Try "apt-get remove --purge openssh-server" then reinstall.  It might be that ssh is trying to use some authentication method other than Unix passwd files (LDAP, AD, etc.).
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 09:31:35 PM »
Actually, after some research, it was a configuration file (i can not remember which one at the moment) that i had set up wrong a while ago, to restrict all accounts by mistake. After quite a bit of the "cd" and "vi" commands, i found the problem.