Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: IMAP Questions  (Read 3355 times)

Mark747

Topic Starter

Rookie

IMAP Questions
    « on: October 28, 2012, 03:33:10 PM »
    Hi all,

I have a few questions on the IMAP method of using email:

• I see that whenever I setup a new email address using IMAP it makes a new PST file, however ideally I'd like to combine all the IMAP addresses into the one PST - is this possible?
    • Is there a limit to the PST size on the server - is this something I should query with my hosting company or are there standard sizes/amounts?
    • I've set up the IMAP account on Outlook which is fine, and also on my Android device (mobile phone) using the standard phone client (I believe it's the Android client, not the HTC phone brand client).  When I look at the folder tree on the phone client it comes up as shown in the image below - as you can see it doubles up some of the folders with the INBOX. prefix which doesn't happen in Outlook.  How do I get rid of this (I've searched a LOT for this answer, posted on other forums etc, no luck...)??

Thanks for any help!
    Cheers,
    Mark

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: IMAP Questions
    « Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 07:41:01 PM »
    Re:
    #1 - Why does it matter whether you have multiple PST files?  I believe there's nothing abnormal about that, especially with multiple email accounts in Outlook.
    #2 - See http://email.about.com/od/outlook/f/pst_size_limit.htm
    #3 - I don't know the answer re: Android device (mobile phone)

Mark747

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 08:19:03 PM »
      1.  Well I figured it was just "better" to keep everything in one place.  Better how, I'm not real sure.  It's just what I've done with my POP mail in the past, but I really just have to shift my thinking

2.  Thanks for the link, helped to clarify a few things for me.

3.  Will keep on searching...

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 08:43:02 PM »
      You might ask about Android at http://androidforums.com/.  I'm not familiar with that forum but at least it's focused on Android.

Mark747

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »
        I did actually try there originally but got no response.  Thanks for the tip though.

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 07:45:08 AM »
        Does Trash contain the same messages as INBOX.Trash; Sent, the same as INBOX.Sent; and so forth? 

Mark747

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 07:40:11 PM »
          All of the emails end up going to the INBOX.* folders.  I gather this is because in Outlook those subfolder all come off the Inbox folder (there's no option to put them anywhere else).

Outlook doesn't show any doubled up folders.

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 08:40:56 AM »
          I suspect this is just a limitation of your Android email client.  Since you've set your email account to work as an IMAP account, the Android client is simply creating separate Inbox and other folders when it synchronizes with your IMAP server instead of using the standard, pre-existing folders in it (the Android client).  If you were using POP mail instead of IMAP, I suspect you would not be seeing that extra set of folders in Android.