Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: File Server Network Setup Questions  (Read 2751 times)

Aegis

Topic Starter

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
  • Experience: Experienced
File Server Network Setup Questions
« on: October 29, 2012, 11:31:17 PM »
Greetings!

I am gathering together some IDE hard drives and older hardware as an exercise in setting up a file server in order to learn how to set up a RAID, and a basic LAN.  I will probably be using Windows 2003 Server.

I know, I know, I know... n00b! GeNERic!  ;D

Now that that's out of the way...

The computer "box" I'm planning to use has one on-board Ethernet port. I am planning to connect two 'client' computers to the file server. May I connect them via a switch, or do I need to have 2 Ethernet ports in the box? (I think I can use a switch.)

Now, put on your sunglasses to protect yourself from my blinding ignorance.  8)

Each of the 'clients' has an Ethernet port going to a router for Internet access. Do I need separate Ethernet ports in each client for the LAN? Part of me thinks Yes, but part of me thinks everything should be able to 'share.'

I am still reading / researching -- which I believe in doing -- but if anyone has any pointers, or any on-line resources to which you can point me, I'd appreciate any input.

Thank You.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: File Server Network Setup Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 02:56:02 AM »
I'd go with each computer 2 workstations and 1 server connected to router, all having outbound connectivity to the WWW as well as the router itself will act as a network switch between them for local traffic. So Local sharing would be easy, however if you plan on broadcasting as a FTP server to the WWW,  you will need to configure your router to port forward to the server at specific ports in reference to its IP which would remain a constant such as 192.168.1.2 for server, and clients have float on DHCP on 192.168.1.3 -> 254. Also some ISP's block common FTP ports, so you might have to get creative by using say port 8079 etc.

I dont want to give away too much as for its fun to learn and have your first Client/Server network set up. If you have further questions post here and we will assist.

zeroburn

Hopeful

• Knowlege will take you further than any guide
    • Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: File Server Network Setup Questions
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 08:56:28 PM »
Your file server would be able to work under Windows Server 2003, yes, but as a little injection of my own personal opinion, i believe linux operating systems are generally better for servers, and especially those new to servers, as many distributions are free.

On to next point:
Your server machine only needs one Ethernet/network port. This can simply hook into your home router. This will share it's files across your entire home network.

Your clients also only need one Ethernet port. Just have these plugged into the router as well.

Using this basic setup, you have every requirement needed to share files. You would just need to set windows server to share a folder or partition(s) as a shared network drive.

Also, there are ways to make your files available over the internet from an internet browser, and free ways to set up a website as well. All of which only require a simple machine to run on.

I wish you luck, as the realm of servers can be quite an interesting experience.
I consider myself a hacker. Not in the way of "I can break into your facebook" but in the way, I like to learn as much as I can, about anything i can. I don't just like having things fixed, I like to understand why it was broken and why a particular solution fixed it. It is just how I am, and how I will always be. As teachers have said before, you cant learn if you don't figure it out in your own mind.