Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can I find a driver for Atheros AR5B195?  (Read 15443 times)

Floydman

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Can I find a driver for Atheros AR5B195?
    « on: November 04, 2012, 03:06:12 PM »
    I just bought an Atheros AR5B195 wirless card for my laptop that supports both Wi-fi and Bluetooth, but my laptop does not recognize it. I have tried searching for drivers, but nothing I install seems to work. I even found that the Wi-fi part of the card might use an AR8285 driver and that the Bluetooth part might us an AR3011 driver, but those don't work either.

This is a Toshiba Satellite M645-S4118x laptop with Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit installed. I believe the computer recognizes that the device is installed and is listing it as "Network Controller" with an exclamation mark in Device Manager.

Will this card even work with this laptop? If it will, how can I resolve this issue?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Can I find a driver for Atheros AR5B195?
    « Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 10:53:06 PM »
    The original OS that came with your laptop should be atleast a Win 7 Home edition and an Ultimate version driver is not available. However, see this Toshiba ->link<- for it may work by using the Win 7 driver.
    « Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 11:03:45 PM by jason2074 »

Floydman

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 12:26:08 AM »
      Thank you for the suggestion, but I have already tried both Atheros drivers provided by Toshiba for my laptop model.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      « Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 10:47:02 PM »
      Is this the original or a replacement wifi card for the Toshibal laptop?

Floydman

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 09:11:25 PM »
        It is a replacement card that I did not order for Toshiba. I have actually resolved the issue now. It took a few days of searching, and I had to use different drivers (one for the wi-fi part and one for the bluetooth part), but it is now working perfectly.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
        « Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 08:56:50 PM »
        Thanks for checking back that you solved it this time.  :)

tekmantoo

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 10:59:42 AM »
          Can you tell me where you found the drivers. I'm having the same issues. Thanks.  Drew

Floydman

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 01:00:36 AM »
            Sure thing:

For the wireless part, you need the AR9285 driver, which I found at http://www.mediafire.com/?2zgmmuyj4zw. I found the link in this forum: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/44256-63-atheros-ar9285-driver-issues-wireless. I believe it is actually a modified version of AR9285.

For the Bluetooth part, you need the AR3011 driver, which I found at http://www.x-drivers.com/catalog/drivers/bluetooth_adapters/companies/atheros/models/bluetooth/22472.html. I found that it is necessary to take out any USB Bluetooth adapter before you try to install it; otherwise it will not find the internal Bluetooth card.

As a caution, my audio now messes up sometimes when I am playing online videos, regardless of the player, but it happens so infrequently that I can deal with it. It is likely that it is actually a side effect of the many things I tried, so I will clean up my computer a little to see if that fixes the problem.